Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hey MacRumors! So I have a simple question today: is the iPad 2, base 16GB model, worth $130? I'm going to meet up with someone who is selling it at this price. Of course, I'm going to check it out before I hand any money over. Personally, I feel that this price is a steal, but what do you guys think?

Also, I plan on using it mainly for Web surfing, viewing PDFs for school, and watching movies/videos. (This begs the question of whether or not it's alright for my needs. I'm going to test it on websites I go to often to see if I'm okay with its performance.)

Thanks!

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
If it is still running iOS 6, then DEFINITELY. If iOS 7, maybe. If iOS8, pass.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
That seems about right to me. I wouldn't pay any more than.

Sweet, thanks!

If it is still running iOS 6, then DEFINITELY. If iOS 7, maybe. If iOS8, pass.

I'm going to test its performance regardless of OS version. I would definitely keep it if it's on iOS 7 (I might jailbreak it to use SemiRestore and restore fresh), and if it's on 8, I'd use it enough to make sure I'm okay with its speed. Are you suggesting that iOS 8 makes it unenjoyable to use?

EDIT: The reviews for 8.1.2 seem generally positive.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/16/ipad-2-ios-8-1-2-reviews/

Last edited:

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
That's certainly not a bad price if it is in good condition. Most used ipads 2 16gb go from 200$ to 250$ in my area.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
An update: met up with the guy, he was very nice!

The iPad itself was flawless, clean screen and no visible scratches at a glance. It was on iOS 8.0 though, but the reports of 8.1.2 seem to be pretty good, so I might restore it to that version. Safari was quick, and iBooks and Settings launched very quickly anyway.

He's waiting on someone else who offered $150, but he said if I agreed to $140 that he would hold it for me, since I showed up first. We agreed to that. Oh, and it comes with a brand new power adapter, but no cable. I think I found a great deal! :)

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
An update: met up with the guy, he was very nice!

The iPad itself was flawless, clean screen and no visible scratches at a glance. It was on iOS 8.0 though, but the reports of 8.1.2 seem to be pretty good, so I might restore it to that version. Safari was quick, and iBooks and Settings launched very quickly anyway.

He's waiting on someone else who offered $150, but he said if I agreed to $140 that he would hold it for me, since I showed up first. We agreed to that. Oh, and it comes with a brand new power adapter, but no cable. I think I found a great deal! :)

Seems like a good deal to me. Enjoy your new iPad.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey MacRumors! So I have a simple question today: is the iPad 2, base 16GB model, worth $130? I'm going to meet up with someone who is selling it at this price. Of course, I'm going to check it out before I hand any money over. Personally, I feel that this price is a steal, but what do you guys think?

Also, I plan on using it mainly for Web surfing, viewing PDFs for school, and watching movies/videos. (This begs the question of whether or not it's alright for my needs. I'm going to test it on websites I go to often to see if I'm okay with its performance.)

Thanks!

I'd say that's fine. It sort of depends on what you want to do. Videos and movies and PDFs are probably fine. Safari will lag, but that's no big deal. Apps will suck on it, but if that's no issue to you, then no worries. It might be fun to jailbreak it when it loses iOS support.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Seems like a good deal to me. Enjoy your new iPad.

Thank you!

I'd say that's fine. It sort of depends on what you want to do. Videos and movies and PDFs are probably fine. Safari will lag, but that's no big deal. Apps will suck on it, but if that's no issue to you, then no worries. It might be fun to jailbreak it when it loses iOS support.

Sounds like my usage. I'm sure I can work around the speed issues, and stuff like Twitter shouldn't lag. I think it'll be good!

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
1gb of RAM. Enjoy it, but you'll soon find out why so many of us are done with that limitation.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
1gb of RAM. Enjoy it, but you'll soon find out why so many of us are done with that limitation.

The iPad 2 has 512mb of RAM.

At that price and for your uses $130 is fine. Don't expect to do a lot of heavy browsing however. PDFs and Movies will work just fine.

At that price range, if you're looking for utility and longevity along with performance, something like an HP Stream 8 might fit the bill. Screen is a little smaller but it is much nicer and has a better resolution. Movies and PDFs will look better and web browsing will be smoother. it also comes with free tmobile 4g (200mb a month) and Microsoft Office. But if an iPad is what you want then by all means get it. Just keep in mind that IF it gets iOS 9, the update will not be kind to it. The iPad 2 is a nice piece of hardware though and it is still useable as long as one keeps their expectations in check.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781600

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
The iPad 2 has 512mb of RAM.

At that price and for your uses $130 is fine. Don't expect to do a lot of heavy browsing however. PDFs and Movies will work just fine.

At that price range, if you're looking for utility and longevity along with performance, something like an HP Stream 8 might fit the bill. Screen is a little smaller but it is much nicer and has a better resolution. Movies and PDFs will look better and web browsing will be smoother. it also comes with free tmobile 4g (200mb a month) and Microsoft Office. But if an iPad is what you want then by all means get it. Just keep in mind that IF it gets iOS 9, the update will not be kind to it. The iPad 2 is a nice piece of hardware though and it is still useable as long as one keeps their expectations in check.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781600

Thank you for the recommendation. I would consider that tablet, but I want to stay within the iOS ecosystem :) I mainly read articles online now and play a game called Pokemon Showdown; my 4S handled the game just fine, so I think my web usage will be satisfied with this iPad.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Sweet, thanks!

I'm going to test its performance regardless of OS version. I would definitely keep it if it's on iOS 7 (I might jailbreak it to use SemiRestore and restore fresh), and if it's on 8, I'd use it enough to make sure I'm okay with its speed. Are you suggesting that iOS 8 makes it unenjoyable to use?

EDIT: The reviews for 8.1.2 seem generally positive.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/16/ipad-2-ios-8-1-2-reviews/

I use my 2 with iOS 8 every day. I use it mainly for browsing, some games (asphalt), Netflix and other video programs. Works fine.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I use my 2 with iOS 8 every day. I use it mainly for browsing, some games (asphalt), Netflix and other video programs. Works fine.

Sweet! So games like Asphalt should run fine. Thank you for your input. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.