Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djw1991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Hey all,

Just a quick question about Beats (not my choice but for a teenage birthday!)

Whilst not convinced by them myself, I need to make a purchase of either the new Solo 2 or the Mixr. Whilst the new solo headphones seem to have much better reviews than the original solos and are the newest model of the product range, the Mixrs are still more expensive.

Leading me on to my question ... is anyone in a position to comment on how the Solo2 and Mixr versions compare in quality and performance. I cannot seem to find any direct comparisons online.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The Solo 2 sounds fantastic - Ty at InnerFidelity, who despised the originals, posted a video review on YouTube singing nothing but praise for the new Solo 2's. And I quote - "The new Solo2 is excellent!!!"

The MIXRs are great - excellent sound, great build.

Don't know which one sounds better, though that would be subjective.

I know that I would rather have the MIXRs myself, just due to the build quality. Not to say the Solo 2's aren't well built, I'm sure they are, as well.

The thing is comfortability - the MIXRs are known for the super crazy clamping force, which is a feature as they're designed to used by professional DJ's that need that isolation when there's tons of dB's of sound at a venue.

Sound - I'd say both are probably a tie.

Build - Unless they're going to be used for rock climbing, I'd say the Solo 2's are just fine.

Comfort - Solo 2's I think hands down. Maybe go to an Apple Store and try both out in person, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.