Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The included "Powerchord" might be worth a bit; I'm assuming that it's some sort of music-making software.

:p

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I managed to come across a perfect Powerbook G4 with the matching original box and all the accessories. I got more close up pictures of the laptop from the seller and it is in pristine condition. I paid $340 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Apple-...50ju8yjb5ajHFn9YFDXDY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I would never pay that much for a PPC Mac, in fact I've never bought one for more than $100.

Still, it's in great condition and looks to have seen very little use. Coupling that with the original box, manuals, and restore disks makes it quite a rare find.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Yeah, this is a pristine collector's item. I'd definitely say you made the right decision at that price. What do you plan to do with it?

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
it's hard to find an older computer like that in that condition. you should be proud. and unless you got it for free there will always be those who say that you paid too much. it's just the way some folks are.

about a year and a half ago i bought a macbook in pristine condition and paid around $150 more for it than the typical ones out there in a beat up condition and i feel that i got a good deal on it. so i know where you're coming from.

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
One of the reasons why I paid that much for it was due to the condition and everything that it came with. The other cheaper ones I saw were nowhere near in the condition that this one is in. I always liked the design of these and when I came across this I just had to get it! That being said this is my first ever PowerPC mac! I am planning to mostly use it for browsing the web, checking email, and basic tasks like that. I am still exploring and trying to figure out other things I might be able to do with it. I am also debating as to what OS I should run on this powerbook.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One of the reasons why I paid that much for it was due to the condition and everything that it came with. The other cheaper ones I saw were nowhere near in the condition that this one is in. I always liked the design of these and when I came across this I just had to get it! That being said this is my first ever PowerPC mac! I am planning to mostly use it for browsing the web, checking email, and basic tasks like that. I am still exploring and trying to figure out other things I might be able to do with it. I am also debating as to what OS I should run on this powerbook.
Since this seems like your first time in this area, understand that we do not know how much you do or do not know about PowerPC Macs.

I say that because I am going to mention the following and I don't want you to feel like I am insulting you or anything along those lines.

Whatever OS you decide on, the maximum that PowerBook can run is Leopard 10.5.8. The lowest version you can run is the version the Mac shipped with. Anything lower will simply not allow you to install it. If you have ANY ideas at all about Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion or any later version of OS X you can forget about them now.

Everything after Leopard runs on an Intel Mac only.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
While it's probably more than I would have paid, I'm sure that there are folks on here who would say that I've overpaid for some of my PPC Macs.

If you're happy with it for the price, that's all that matters. It's not often that one comes up for sale in that condition, especially with all of the original packaging and effectively "the whole package" as you have.

As for the OS version, as eyougren says your only options for OS X are something between the version that shipped with the computer(I think 10.3.x for that particular model) and 10.5.8.

Most of us on here are running either 10.4.11(Tiger) or 10.5.8(Leopard). I personally will not use a version of OS X lower than 10.4. For web use, it is a practical necessity, as Tenfourfox, one of the only browsers still maintained for PPC computers, requires 10.4 or 10.5(DO NOT use Safari, as the most recent version for either OS is out of date, insecure, and has trouble with many web pages). 10.4-at least with a stock install-is a lot "lighter" than 10.5 and will make the computer feel much faster.

10.5 has the advantage of better(current) software availability. It also allows you access to Leopard Webkit, which is still sort of maintained but as I understand is near end of life. At least on a stock install, it can feel very slow on some G4-based hardware. There are how-to guides available in this section of the website that will walk you through how to "lighten" Leopard and optimize it for your hardware. Once this is done-provided that you've maxed the RAM in your computer(and put at least a good 5400 RPM hard drive in a laptop)-it can "feel" nearly as fast as Tiger.

Many of us also dual-boot both versions. I prefer Leopard for general use, but Tiger gives you Classic mode to run older, OS 9 based programs(your computer is NOT capable of booting directly into OS 9).

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Anything is worth what someone will pay for it, and if you're happy with the price you paid that's all that is important. Congrats, it looks brand new. Nice find.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
it will also be good for a portable dvd player which of course is something the newest macs just can't do.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
You have already heard this from others...

but $340 is way too much for that machine, even if it's in really nice condition. Nice score, but the price was much too high. I have never paid more than ~$100 for a PPC Mac.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Car enthusiasts pay a lot of money for beaters they can fix up and restore and even more for nearly mint older models. The same principle applies here.

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013

but $340 is way too much for that machine, even if it's in really nice condition. Nice score, but the price was much too high. I have never paid more than ~$100 for a PPC Mac.

he just told us why he picked this one. makes sense to me. maybe he has more money than you do. if so then that's not his fault.

----------

Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Car enthusiasts pay a lot of money for beaters they can fix up and restore and even more for nearly mint older models. The same principle applies here.

i've seen time and time again people buy the cheapest classic car they can find and then put so much money into it when buying one in better condition would be a far better choice. even when it's initially more expensive. i know about this firsthand. i own a 1970 vw beetle and a 1974 mgb.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
he just told us why he picked this one. makes sense to me. maybe he has more money than you do. if so then that's not his fault.

Everyone has their own opinion on what something worth. If to me it's worth $150 but to the OP it's worth $340, so be it.

None of my PPCs ever came in the original box. I wonder what that would be like...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Everyone has their own opinion on what something worth. If to me it's worth $150 but to the OP it's worth $340, so be it.

None of my PPCs ever came in the original box. I wonder what that would be like...

I have two-an MDD and a PM G5.

The G5 actually was a bit of an impulse Craigslist buy(I emailed the guy and was at his house 45 minutes later) but came with the box, keyboard, and mouse and overall was just in really solid condition.

I didn't need a second G5 at the time, but couldn't pass it up for $80, especially for a late '05(albeit the lowest end 2.0 dual core). It's now my work computer.

I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the box, but the boxes for those things are HUGE and it's taking up a lot of valuable space in my closet that could hold more Macs :)

i've seen time and time again people buy the cheapest classic car they can find and then put so much money into it when buying one in better condition would be a far better choice. even when it's initially more expensive. i know about this firsthand. i own a 1970 vw beetle and a 1974 mgb.

I just finished up a 3-day watch show, and had a pretty similar conversation about this exact thing-albeit on a smaller scale-a couple of times.

Many new collectors will get a "great deal" on a common but desireable watch like a 60-hour Bunn Special...they might pay $200 for one with a bad dial and a worn(brass showing through) case. They then go around Ebay and at shows looking for a "perfect" dial($100-125 is the going rate for the most common dial for this watch in that condition) and $125-150 for a nice condition Bunn Special signed case. Plus, if the watch needs any mechanical work(which most new-and a lot of advanced collectors can't do themselves) and they're sinking another $100+ into the thing just to get it running and keeping time. All said and done, they're $400+ into a pieced-together watch when they could have had an all-original, problem free and running one for $300-350.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I wasn't speaking to him with scorn, I simply stated that he over-payed for this machine. Also, having a lot of money doesn't justify buying it at that price; I have the money for this, yet I would personally never spend (and HAVE never spent) over ~$100 on a PowerPC Mac.

I'm happy for him that he got such a nice PowerBook G4, which he seems glad with, but I was providing my insight on this.

I get what you mean when you say that. Some people will buy a cheap computer that ends up needing a good amount of work and hundreds of dollars in parts. That being said, I myself wouldn't ever put THAT much money into an old computer, even if I wanted to/it needed it.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

But I doubt any of the PPC's most of us have picked up used are mint, look unused, and came in their original boxes with all accessories. You can't find those for under $100 unless a leprechaun is holding your hand. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have purposely held my personal opinion on what the OP paid for a reason and will continue to do so.

However, I want to make one comment and it's along the lines of bunnspecial's post about paying more for a working watch.

We are at the point now that inexpensive is starting to equal "cheap" with PowerPC.

My last few eBay auctions that I won parts for Macs (as well as a working Mac) were inexpensive.

And I got cheap parts. The logicboard I bought died about six months after I got it. The $40 Mac I bought with the intent to supplement my LCD and top case has the bottom case bent so bad the LCD will not stay closed. The connector for the ribbon cable to the logicboard snapped off and I can only use this Mac with a mouse and keyboard now.

Stuff is getting old and getting older the farther away from 2006 we get. So, now I am at a point that "For Parts or Repair" is no longer a viable option. It's now a big gamble. You may get lucky, and you may get crap parts. I would suggest you will probably get the latter.

So where does that leave me? It means that now I have to understand that I may have to start paying more. Looking for auctions that describe WORKING Macs or Macs with minimal (cosmetic) issues.

I now believe the days of picking up a cheap Mac are gone. With all the scalpers and the people who don't understand what they have, the opportunists and those who know they can get what they are asking for from the right person (sucker?) the prices are going up and it's the junk that is now being discounted.

I'm too old and too tired to be working on junk to find out halfway to fixing it, it broke so bad I can't use it! I enjoy working on these old Macs (Quicksilver) but at some point we all are going to have to start paying more for the better quality parts and machines.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I wasn't speaking to him with scorn, I simply stated that he over-payed for this machine. Also, having a lot of money doesn't justify buying it at that price; I have the money for this, yet I would personally never spend (and HAVE never spent) over ~$100 on a PowerPC Mac.

My price for PPC Macs has ranged from $0(for quite a few of mine) to $200(including shipping) for something I really wanted.

As many folks on here might have inferred(if I've not explicitly stated), I'm pretty heavily involved in collecting certain antiques and other "old stuff" that don't quite(yet) qualify as antiques using the "100 year old" definition. In particular, I'm pretty active in antique American pocket watches, and also dabble in Smith and Wesson revolvers(as well as Colts revolvers and Winchester rifles to a much lesser extent). I have a cursory knowledge of coins, and have refreshed myself some recently in trying to liquidate some pieces that belonged to my late Grandfather.

With many items, you often get into "diminishing returns" to a certain extent when chasing high condition examples. For many Smith and Wessons, the price difference between one in 95% and one in 99% condition is about double, while an 80% condition example("shooter grade" in the trade) is often 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a 95% example. Back in the fall, I bought an S&W model of 1899 in 32-20("32 Winchester Ctg") with about 30% of the original finish. By most metrics used in that collecting world, this is a rare gun with a production of 5000. Mine was mechanically sound and complete(there is a cosmetic often missing that mine had), and I paid $200 for it although I had to drop another $75 on original, era-appropriate grips. I was thrilled with it(and love going to the range and getting better groups than the Glock fanboys with my 116 year old gun), but many other collectors told me they wouldn't have touched it. That's just how it is. One in even 80% condition would have probably been 2-3 times as expensive.

I've spend the last week or so trying to peddle an 1885 Carson City dollar. All Carson City dollars are valuable-at least compared to other Morgan dollars-but the 1885 is about #5 on the list of hardest to find dates in this range. I really don't know the condition of the example I'm trying to sell, and it takes years of study to accurately grade these things. An 1885 CC in MS-63 condition is roughly a $700 coin. Move up to MS-65(which is really a tiny difference in condition, all said and done) and you're looking at roughly a $1200 coin. That's the reason why I'm going to spend $60 to have it professionally graded :)

PPC Macs(with certain exceptions) haven't yet reached collectible status in the way a lot of other things have, but I think what we're seeing here is an example that's far nicer than usually seen both just in physical condition and in overall completeness. I think this is difficult to assign a price to, and I won't begrudge the OP paying the price on it. It is more than I would have paid, but I really don't think the price is terribly out of line as some would think.

At the end of the day, the OP is obviously thrilled with the purchase, and that's what matters.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.