Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #1
mox358
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mox358
Intel Mac Mini vs iMac G4

Just a quick question for those of you with newer hardware. I'm still using an original G4 iMac (800mhz, 768 RAM, Geforce 2MX 32MB USB 1.1, etc..) Its getting a little long in the tooth, and I keep hearing all about how the Intel Mac Mini would be so slow. I'm seriously considering one to replace my iMac ( I already have the KB/mouse/display issues taken care of). I'm thinking about the Core Solo model simply because I don't have the extra cash to throw around right now.

So after all that.... my real question is... what kind of performance increase am I looking at moving from the G4 iMac to an Intel Mac Mini ? I don't notice my G4 being slow most of the time, but my superdrive is broke, my airport isn't working, i have to use a usb port for my bluetooth adapter.. etc.. It seems like the perfect Intel Transition machine for me personally, but I do wonder about the bang for my buck.

The only game I play is Warcraft 3 (which is old I know) and besides that its mostly iLife and Adobe/Macromedia stuff (which i'm not using professionally at the moment, so the speed of the adobe/mm apps isn't super important as long as it's tolerable.)

I just wondered if the new Mini is enough of a jump from my system to get me by for a couple of years until the Intel Transition is over.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:57 PM   #2
yoda13
macrumors 65816

In my opinion, it is. You might want to check out what is happening over in the "I just ordered a new Intel Mac mini" thread....they threw up some benchmarks in there that Macworld has done. I think it might be right for you...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:40 PM   #3
mox358
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mox358
thanks

thanks for the recommendation... i hadn't been following the other thread and there was some core solo information that i read that has helped my decision. its by no means the fastest mac, but i think it will do what i want from it. thanks again!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs