Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Right now I have a bunch of TV shows saved on my external hard drive. I have it set up so that the files are stored on the external hard drive, and I have home sharing enabled, so I'm able to stream the files from the external through iTunes and watch the videos from any device that is on the same network. I have a nice front-end set up on iTunes for organization and artwork, and all of the files are stored on the hard drive. Of course the only way I'm able to access to the files on my other devices is if the external is plugged into my MBP and iTunes is running, but that's fine.

Only problem is, I forgot how I managed to get this set up, lol. I want to get more videos on this same set up. Every time I just try dragging them from the external into iTunes it copies the files onto my local hard drive.

I know there is something simple I'm forgetting to do here, I just can't think of what. Help? :)

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
I know there is something simple I'm forgetting to do here, I just can't think of what. Help? :)

Looks like your default library is pointing to your local hard drive again. Which is fine if thats where you want it. To add files from external via drag n drop, make sure to uncheck "copy files to iTunes library" under advanced. that way it should add the files but point to the external

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Looks like your default library is pointing to your local hard drive again. Which is fine if thats where you want it. To add files from external via drag n drop, make sure to uncheck "copy files to iTunes library" under advanced. that way it should add the files but point to the external

I think that was it! I'll give that a try tonight - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.