Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Hey everyone!

Does anyone tweak the fan settings in Windows (Boot Camp) when playing games on their iMac? I know the system will shut down if temperatures reach a certain number but I've also read that when gaming in Windows a lot of people give the fans a bit of a boost to keep temperatures down.

In games that pushed the temperatures up quite a lot, I use a custom power profile with a maximum CPU of 99%. From what I understand, by not hitting 100% CPU the turbo boost doesn't kick in, therefore keeping temperatures down. Anyway, I don't really have an issue but I was wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks! :)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Nothing. Just let it run as normal. The CPU will automatically adjust itself along with the fans for optimal performance.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I have started using MacFanControl when running games under windows.
It allows you to change between Auto, constant fan speed, or set when certain temperature is reached. You can certainly feel the Imac doesn't get as hot to touch.

There is a Mac and Windows version available.

P.S. I'm no expert or big game-er.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I have started using MacFanControl when running games under windows.
It allows you to change between Auto, constant fan speed, or set when certain temperature is reached. You can certainly feel the Imac doesn't get as hot to touch.

There is a Mac and Windows version available.

P.S. I'm no expert or big game-er.
I installed MacFanControl also as my 2007 MacBook Pro was overheating due to faulty GPU. I have found it runs about 10 degrees cooler under Windows (10 Preview) then it did in OSX so I've not changed the default settings but it is good to see the current temps if you are a bit paranoid like me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.