Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Ok, someone asked me to retrieve the information from this iphone 4 only. They do not want to reset or erase, they only want the info from the phone. Reset is not an option and they have never backed it up. They don't want to pay for a new screen or otherwise, they just want the songs and pics off the phone.
Apparently, she dropped it in the toilet or something, did the rice things to dry it out but the screen no longer works. Black, no lights at all. Not sure if the touchscreen works or not.

1) I have been able to get it to charge
2) I have been able to connect to itunes (my computer, not hers, never been synced on this one)
3) have no idea what the screen holds because it is black.

Here is the issue. She has a passcode. I cannot see the contents of the phone unless the passcode is inputed (apparently). Again, from not being able to see if the phone is on or not, I have no idea what the screen holds.

1) Tried to install the newest version of itunes, same thing, needs passcode.
2) she claims she has never backed it up before
3) She claims the computer she used for the phone doesn't work anymore
4) tried Ifunbox, but it won't connect without the passcode in itunes.

So a lot of unknowns here so just working with what I have (and for free, but I don't mind, a friend is a friend). Any help on this one? Just need to see the contents of the phone and copy them to a USB or computer, but maybe easier said than done, huh?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Unfortunately without being able to enter the passcode you're pretty much dead in the water. If the touchscreen is working you might be able to enter the passcode blindly. Slide to unlock, then the passcode, then say yes to the dialog box asking to trust the computer.

Iphone 4 screens are pretty cheap. $15 or so on ebay, so if this data really is that important to her then if might be worth getting a new screen.

netrate

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I guess the issue is whether it is ONLY the screen or not. If it is more, than the $15 plus installation of the screen is down the drain. If i get her old computer up and running, will that help?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If you can get far enough that the computer recognizes the phone and asks you to unlock it, then I think that's a pretty good sign that the phone is working. I think it's very likely that replacing the screen would get it working enough for you to be able to enter the passcode and back it up to the computer.

Replacing the screen isn't a super easy job on a 4, but it's not terribly difficult either and there are a lot of how to videos on youtube. It may be something you (or another friend of hers) could do to save her the cost of installation. But again, I guess it all comes down to a question of how much she's willing to spend to get that data back.

As far as connecting it to her computer, that would work if she had previously connected it to her computer and trusted it. Once you trust a computer with the phone then it will remember that trust and you can connect and sync again without having to unlock and re-trust the computer. However, from your first post, it sounds like the phone has never been connected to her computer, so you'll have the same problem that you're having with your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.