Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I have 3 laptops, a macbook air, a macbook pro, and a PC laptop. I'm having some odd iTunes home sharing issue that I'm hoping someone can help.

For starters, all 3 laptops are running the same version of iTunes, all three are logged in to the same home sharing account. I'll try to explain the problem as best as I can.

When the PC and the air are both on and running iTunes, the air can see the PC, access the library, and grab songs from it. The PC, however, cannot see the air, the shared libraries button doesn't even come up.

When I load my pro, I can see both the PC and the Air, the air can see the PC and the pro, the home sharing button on the PC now appears but it can only see the pro.

Why can't the PC see the Air?

(sorry if this is in the wrong area)

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
try turning on both home sharing settings.

home sharing #1
this requires you to log iTunes onto the store and to activate home sharing
this is what you use if you have any kind of iOS device or iTunes

i think this one lets you download music from the server

click on file
turn on home sharing

home sharing #2
this does not require any iTunes clients to log on to apple at all.
this does not work with iOS devices
this will save you iTunes activations
click on iTunes
click on preferences
click on sharing
share my entire library on my local network

i think this one might not let you download music from the server

as long as your music is iTunes plus or does not have DRM you can use the home sharing #2 method all you want on your clients, they do not need to be authorized at all. they don't even need to be logged on to apple at all.

a lot of people think that method #2 is for legacy stuff, but it will be a very dark day if they ever remove this.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I do thank you for your reply, but I've already logged out and back in to home sharing, no dice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.