Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today began testing a new feature on its Messenger service, automatically transcribing voice messages sent through the service directly into text.

Announced by the Facebook's VP of Messaging David Marcus on his Facebook page, the update is meant to be more helpful for people who enjoy sending and receiving voice messages but find themselves in situations such as a meeting where audio is less suitable to the environment (via The Next Web).

Screenshot-125.png
"Today we are starting to roll out a small test that helps people read the voice clips they receive instead of having to play them out loud. So, for example, if you're at a concert or in a meeting, and would prefer to read a voice clip from a friend, you now can if you're part of the small test we're rolling out."
Marcus goes on to mention that the current plan for the update is to keep it at a "tiny scale for now" and see how it performs in the wild. After seeing what the small scale of users think of the new feature, Facebook will decide whether to make the feature "more widely available."

Though the Facebook Messenger app retains a low rating in the App Store due to customer complaints over the company's continued attempt to separate individual services into various apps, it retained the top spot on 2014's list of most downloaded apps when results were announced late last month.

Article Link: Facebook Begins Small-Scale Testing of Voice-to-Text Conversations in Messenger

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
What again is the issue with the separate Messenger app? Is it that people don't want separate apps or was there more to it than that... more devious on Facebook's part? Honest question.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
What again is the issue with the separate Messenger app? Is it that people don't want separate apps or was there more to it than that... more devious on Facebook's part? Honest question.

We don't need a separate app for every Facebook feature. It's as if your bank had an app that showed account balances but provided a different app to transfer money.

On the other hand, Facebook clearly wants a presence in various app categories not to mention the ad revenue.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
We don't need a separate app for every Facebook feature. It's as if your bank had an app that showed account balances but provided a different app to transfer money.

On the other hand, Facebook clearly wants a presence in various app categories not to mention the ad revenue.
Your example seems a bit extreme. I think of it similar to all of the Google apps that are out there. Why not just have a single Google App that includes Maps, Drive (and now the separate Sheets & Docs apps), Google+, Google Voice, Gmail, Hangouts, and even Chrome... just maybe a Google Chrome app that has all of those things in it.

Honestly, I can see where people might use one or the other a different times... check Facebook updates, go to Facebook -- chat with friends, go to Messenger. And I can see where development of these two things is much easier (and maybe necessary) being separate apps. It just doesn't seem such a big deal as I'm made to believe by all of the comments I read on this subject.

I understand that people have their reasons to complain about this, but I struggle to feel it's a big deal.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I really liked they splitted those two apps up. On my iPhone i only have messenger app, I don't need to see my newsfeed every time I want to chat. And most of my conversations is on fb. So it's nice they only have a chat app

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Great, now they'll have samples of your voice - and a "reason" to ask for access to the microphone...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Great, now they'll have samples of your voice - and a "reason" to ask for access to the microphone...
And still nothing new or different will happen.

----------

I really liked they splitted those two apps up. On my iPhone i only have messenger app, I don't need to see my newsfeed every time I want to chat. And most of my conversations is on fb. So it's nice they only have a chat app
That's pretty much what it comes down to.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Your example seems a bit extreme. I think of it similar to all of the Google apps that are out there. Why not just have a single Google App that includes Maps, Drive (and now the separate Sheets & Docs apps), Google+, Google Voice, Gmail, Hangouts, and even Chrome... just maybe a Google Chrome app that has all of those things in it.

Honestly, I can see where people might use one or the other a different times... check Facebook updates, go to Facebook -- chat with friends, go to Messenger. And I can see where development of these two things is much easier (and maybe necessary) being separate apps. It just doesn't seem such a big deal as I'm made to believe by all of the comments I read on this subject.

I understand that people have their reasons to complain about this, but I struggle to feel it's a big deal.

Bingo.

The Facebook app shouldn't have to act like a micro operating system inside of iOS. I don't spend my day inside Facebook. I'd rather open the Messenger app from the home screen to send or read a message than have to go into the Facebook app then go into Messenger from there.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I was fighting against downloading messanger but in the end did. It isn't allowed to track my location - though seemed very keen to be able to. It showed me how to share my location, then apple notified me the app wanted to use my location, then when I said 'no' it said t couldn't use my location, to change this I needed to go to the settings...

The app lives the last home screen where my junk/rarely used apps go. I can switch to it from within facebook and then return to the facebook app... Not a problem really.

Edit: it's just struck me how people here want there to be one big Facebook app that does everything, but also moan that iTunes is too bloated and does too many things. Ah, the web.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I lost enough interest in Facebook and all the bad they were doing, that instead of downloading their chat app, I unloaded the Facebook app. Very liberating not having Facebook on my iPhone or iPad. I actually checked Facebook on a computer today -- first time this year I have checked the wall.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I lost enough interest in Facebook and all the bad they were doing, that instead of downloading their chat app, I unloaded the Facebook app. Very liberating not having Facebook on my iPhone or iPad. I actually checked Facebook on a computer today -- first time this year I have checked the wall.
Sounds like one of those cool stories.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I was fighting against downloading messanger but in the end did. It isn't allowed to track my location - though seemed very keen to be able to. It showed me how to share my location, then apple notified me the app wanted to use my location, then when I said 'no' it said t couldn't use my location, to change this I needed to go to the settings...

If you're really worried about running Facebook's software, you have other options. Because Facebook chat servers accept the standard XMPP (aka Jabber) protocol, any XMPP client can use it. There are a lot of other iOS apps plus Messages/iChat for Mac that can use Facebook chat. I primarily use Messages on Mac to talk to Facebook friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.