Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmh1227

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
North Carolina
Hi all! I have a Macbook pro (late 2013) and an Apple 27" Theatre display (2010) that I am trying to use the theatre display as a second monitor. The sound works with the USB cable and the magsafe to magsafe 2 adapter I bought works fine, however there is no picture on the monitor. My macbook won't even detect the monitor. The monitor cable is a mini display port male end. I plugged it into the macbook's thunderbolt port (female end). Like I said, the macbook isn't even detecting the monitor so is there a compatibility issue with the mini display cord being plugged into the thunderbolt port of my macbook? Other than a hardware issue (I opened up the monitor and didn't see anything obvious) I don't know what else it could be and I had heard there were issues in communication between mini display and thunderbolt.

PLEASE HELP!

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
Nothing coming up for the display in the Displays panel of System Preferences? Try holding down the Option key when you open the Displays preferences pane and you should see a button labelled "Detect Displays" at the bottom, try clicking that and see if it makes any difference. Failing that, are you able to replace the cable? Might be worth a shot.

mmh1227

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
North Carolina
I was wondering if it was the cables with the issues, is the mini display port cable from the monitor compatible with the thunderbolt 2 port?

mmh1227

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
North Carolina
Any idea where to find a replacement cable for the Cinema Display with the magsafe, usb and mini display all in one?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.