Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Came home last night to find my 12" powerbook asleep (how I left it), but with the fan running pretty hard and the computer reasonably hot. I opened up the lid, but the screen didn't fire up and the sleep button wasn't lit (I didn't notice whether the sleep button was "breathing" when I walked in or not). Pressed the power button briefly, but still nothing.

Finally, I had to hold down the power button and do a hard restart in order to get the computer back up. Everything looked fine, but I'm still kind of concerned. It was just left sleeping on my desk.

I've been considering a powered cooling pad for it, but I'm assuming that won't run while its asleep. Maybe an iCurve would be better (although it forces me to get an external keyboard and mouse, which I wasn't rushing to do yet)?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is odd. Was the apple lit up? Last night during a software update I had to close my powerbook lid because someone was coming over to take my desk. I guess I pissed it off and it wouldn't go to sleep. When I opened the lid, it said that I had to restart. It was frealy. Even with the lid shut, the apple was lit up as bright as ever.

There could have been something that woke it. oddly, but it's possible. It was probably not sleeping as you say. Not that I am calling you a liar, but I get so used to the light in front that I wouldn't notice it either you know.

You can always go to disk utility and make sure your drives are cool.
As far as an icurve, I have one a love it, but i doubt your issue was heat related, something woke it and it didn't want to go back to sleep. Heat wouldn't wake the PB I don't think.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
jessica. said:
That is odd. Was the apple lit up? Last night during a software update I had to close my powerbook lid because someone was coming over to take my desk. I guess I pissed it off and it wouldn't go to sleep. When I opened the lid, it said that I had to restart. It was frealy. Even with the lid shut, the apple was lit up as bright as ever.

There could have been something that woke it. oddly, but it's possible. It was probably not sleeping as you say. Not that I am calling you a liar, but I get so used to the light in front that I wouldn't notice it either you know.

You can always go to disk utility and make sure your drives are cool.
As far as an icurve, I have one a love it, but i doubt your issue was heat related, something woke it and it didn't want to go back to sleep. Heat wouldn't wake the PB I don't think.

I don't think it was awake. As I said, the screen was black when I opened it up and wouldn't come on until I restarted the computer. I didn't notice if the apple was lit or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.