Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Luxury watch maker Montblanc earlier this month announced the "e-Strap", an accessory band that will add notifications, music control, and other smartphone-connected functions to a traditional analog wristwatch, marking one of the first efforts by traditional watchmakers to offer smartphone integration as the Apple Watch's launch nears.

Alexander Linz of the Watch-Insider blog had the opportunity to examine the e-Strap first hand during a demonstration by Montblanc CEO Jerome Lambert that was held over the weekend in Geneva.

e-strap-wrist.jpg
Detailed photos of the watch accessory reveal how it sits on a traditional watch band to rest firmly on the underside of the wrist. The display portion appears rather bulky, making discomfort a possible issue during daily use.

montblanc_estrap_live.jpg
Other photos showcase the 0.9-inch monochrome touchscreen display which shares information such as incoming phone calls, upcoming appointments, and more. The display quality is not nearly as good as depicted in Montblanc's renderings of the strap, with text and icons appearing rather jagged due to the low 128 x 36 resolution.

Not a standalone device, the e-Strap will connect to an iOS or Android smartphone via an app that will allow users to customize the information being displayed on their wrists.

e-strap-display.jpg
The e-Strap is expected to cost 250 euros and will be available as an optional accessory to select Timewalker Urban Speed watches. The e-Strap also may be compatible with other Timewalker watches that ship with 42-mm or 43-mm diameter cases.

Article Link: Photos of Montblanc's Watch 'e-Strap' Show Low-Resolution Display, Bulky Fit

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
let me understand. I have to buy a specific watch, then buy this, and it's last decade's technology.

Not getting my money

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
This is disappointing because when I first saw this I thought it was a great idea, managing expectations springs to mind!

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
"Bulky", if otherwise designed well, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I prefer bulky-and-useful over Apple's Thinner At All Costs mantra any day. (Whether Montblanc's strap is useful... well, I have no idea.)

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Won't it get scratched because of its position underneath the wrist?

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
This is the right direction but bad execution.

I'd prefer this method of "smart watch" than the Apple Watch. Yet that does seem bulky and low res.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I collect watches and can tell you that the last thing you want is bulk underneath the band....that is horrible.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Execution can be refined. What I think is interesting is that this is a completely different solution to the smart watch concept. IE - not disrupting the actual watch experience and design, but having a 2nd screen. Apple's watch will no doubt be fashionable - but for watch aficionados who aren't likely to give up their time pieces, this is a viable alternative - at least as a POC.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Huh. Apple apparently has a bigger lead in this market than I expected. Who would have thought something like this would be hard?

This is what happens when management panics, over prioritizes time to market, and decides to outsource the design without proper oversight.

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Dang. The other companies could at least TRY to make some decent competition for Apple!

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
250 euros... that's almost as much as the Apple Watch. People who use this will actually look at the bottom of the watch way more than the top, and afterwards might be like "f- it I'm getting a real smart watch" lol...

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
That thing is fugly as hell. And it looks awkward to use. I really do fail to see the point in this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.