Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
So I've had my new D750 for about a month now. It's been mostly utilized as a family snapper with all the holidays. I'm mostly interested in landscape and adventure photography but subjects have been limited with all of our rain here and the fact that I live, for the moment, in middle Georgia. So I decided to make a serious effort photographing the local coal burning electricity plant located on a lake near my house. Plant Scherer is the 5th largest electrical producer in the U.S. and the largest single point source of carbon dioxide in the States (yeah us!). 2-5, 135 car coal trains from Wyoming unload every day there. The following were taken over two different days and processes in Aperture, NIK, and Capture NXD.

I'm just sharing for the sake of sharing but any critiques on what works and what doesn't is appreciated. I guess you'd say I'm practicing for something I'm interested in and that's nighttime landscapes of mountains.

p486384022-6.jpg

p338249279-6.jpg

p375298960-6.jpg

p375221054-6.jpg

p516723993-6.jpg

p267257191-6.jpg

p33159444-6.jpg

p456930071-6.jpg

p419396130-6.jpg

p226165692-6.jpg

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I rarely say it but I really enjoyed your offering as a feast for the eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Nice stuff JD, if you have PS try some exposure blending from bracketed 3 and 5 exposures from -3 to +3, the D750 should show how sick the images can be in color tone and DR........look forward to seeing more stuff from you and your D750 ;)

logista

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
These are great! You could make a nice project out of this while you're waiting for mountains :)

I especially like #3 (the middle-gray one) for it's eeriness. I feel like the rocks in the foreground are being lit by the glow from the power plant, which gives it a kind of creepy feeling.

I also like the color ones for a similar reason -- it seems otherworldly (and somewhat like a movie poster with the orange/blue). Especially #5, since stars are visible.

Nice work!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Nice stuff JD, if you have PS try some exposure blending from bracketed 3 and 5 exposures from -3 to +3, the D750 should show how sick the images can be in color tone and DR........look forward to seeing more stuff from you and your D750 ;)

I don't have PS anymore on my machine but I can use it on my wife's work computer. I've been trying Pixlemator as a replacement, though I was never a big PS user. When you say exposure blending, would that be done by using the photomerge selection in PS? I'm not terrible interested in HDR type images but I will sometimes push an image to have what I feel are slight HDR qualities (like one of the closeups of the plant). I have wanted to try focus stacking which I'm guessing would be a like process (to exposure blending).

It's funny but the D750 has kind of exposed how little I know about what's possible with image editing. Not becuase it needs a lot of post but becuase of what's possible with the image it gives you.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
It's funny but the D750 has kind of exposed how little I know about what's possible with image editing. Not becuase it needs a lot of post but becuase of what's possible with the image it gives you.

Yeah its a PS thing merging 3 or 5 exposures to get the best color or tonal contrast you can, the RAW files from the D750 should be nice to play with and hold plenty of info, This image is a 5 exposure shot -2 -1 0 +1 +2, it was the only way to capture the colours on this night.

Attachments

• sunset over west bay.jpg
    sunset over west bay.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 142

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So I've had my new D750 for about a month now. It's been mostly utilized as a family snapper with all the holidays. I'm mostly interested in landscape and adventure photography but subjects have been limited with all of our rain here and the fact that I live, for the moment, in middle Georgia. So I decided to make a serious effort photographing the local coal burning electricity plant located on a lake near my house. Plant Scherer is the 5th largest electrical producer in the U.S. and the largest single point source of carbon dioxide in the States (yeah us!). 2-5, 135 car coal trains from Wyoming unload every day there. The following were taken over two different days and processes in Aperture, NIK, and Capture NXD.

I'm just sharing for the sake of sharing but any critiques on what works and what doesn't is appreciated. I guess you'd say I'm practicing for something I'm interested in and that's nighttime landscapes of mountains.

Wow! I really enjoyed these images. So clean, stunning detail. I afire the one of the trees with the steam behind it - but if a sucker for a rich blue sky.

Fantastic shots well done!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks all for the kind words. kenoh, that blue only lasted for a short time. It was that time in the morning when it was no longer the dark of night but not yet the start of dawn. It only lasted about 10 minutes and I think I have 2 other shots that have that color in them and the last one is a lot lighter.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks all for the kind words. kenoh, that blue only lasted for a short time. It was that time in the morning when it was no longer the dark of night but not yet the start of dawn. It only lasted about 10 minutes and I think I have 2 other shots that have that color in them and the last one is a lot lighter.

Right time, right place, shutter magic. Really beautiful effect. My daughters bedroom is east facing and we sit slightly elevated over neighbour so my tripod is setup ready! I will catch one of these soon!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Right time, right place, shutter magic. Really beautiful effect. My daughters bedroom is east facing and we sit slightly elevated over neighbour so my tripod is setup ready! I will catch one of these soon!

Right time and right place is key. That's what I'm learning about landscapes. It's super easy to pull over at the scenic viewpoint and snap a nice shot but to really get something noteworthy in that same spot takes lots of effort, timing, luck, and patience. Things change from "hey look, one of them turned out great" to feeling like you really might have accomplished something deliberate.

Poor girl, dad sneaking in the room before dawn to catch a sunrise :). I say wake her up and drag her out to the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold to wait on that sunrise! :D

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Right time and right place is key. That's what I'm learning about landscapes. It's super easy to pull over at the scenic viewpoint and snap a nice shot but to really get something noteworthy in that same spot takes lots of effort, timing, luck, and patience. Things change from "hey look, one of them turned out great" to feeling like you really might have accomplished something deliberate.

Poor girl, dad sneaking in the room before dawn to catch a sunrise :). I say wake her up and drag her out to the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold to wait on that sunrise! :D

Lol... I dragged both girls out below into the dark park to get a nightsky shot the other night... They were not happy! And like their mum, in the interests of safely traversing the day, best to leave them to sleep :)

----------

They're great. I love number 4.

Nah deffo 8 for me... Like I say, I am drawn to a rich blue sky like a moth to a flame

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lol... I dragged both girls out below into the dark park to get a nightsky shot the other night... They were not happy! And like their mum, in the interests of safely traversing the day, best to leave them to sleep :)

----------

Nah deffo 8 for me... Like I say, I am drawn to a rich blue sky like a moth to a flame

8 or 3 for me. All good though. I can't wait to get my hands on a D750. Make good use of all my glass.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009

----------

Found another one for you kenoh. This was shortly after the one with the trees. The next image a few minutes later and the blue is gone.

p31586386-6.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.