Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:03 PM   #1
ckeck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to ckeck Send a message via AIM to ckeck
Fairly new to programming & new to macs...where to start??

Hey everyone...I have poked around with programming (c++, java, visual basic) over the last few years...didn't really get far with anything. I am also new to the Macs and would prefer to program under Mac OS X...

I would like to get to the point of programming my own simple but custom applications...

WHERE SHOULD I BEGIN? What compilers does the Mac use? Whats the best programing language?? Any good books?

Would appreciate any tips/help.

**OpenGL avaliable??**
ckeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:06 PM   #2
zimv20
macrumors 601

only 6 lines down is this thread: Where to start...new "soon to be" mac owner
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:35 PM   #3
ckeck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to ckeck Send a message via AIM to ckeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
only 6 lines down is this thread: Where to start...new "soon to be" mac owner
Thanks for that tip...but the guy who posted that thread is a "seasoned" programmer and I am not. I am looking for some beginner info and looking for some good books too if any exist.
ckeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
darkwing
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to darkwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeck
Thanks for that tip...but the guy who posted that thread is a "seasoned" programmer and I am not. I am looking for some beginner info and looking for some good books too if any exist.
Hi ckeck. I recommend you start off with either a Java or C++ book that teaches you the concepts in a text based environment (like Mac terminal apps) so that you can understand real OOP and programming concepts. Then, you might want to try out some of the objective-C tutorials. Apple has one included in the developer documentation that is very nice. I am a seasoned C++ programmer who had no trouble at all diving right into Java's GUI stuff quite easily, but Apple's cocoa stuff was much more complicated for me. I have it more or less figured out, but I don't have any real big apps under my belt yet. (no time)

If you want to do mac programming, and therefore want to ultimately use Cocoa/objective-C, then I suggest you learn C++ first. When you're ready for GUI stuff, move into Obj-C. The syntax differences aren't too crazy. You can try to dive right into Obj-C but I am not familiar with any books that use it to teach beginning programming concepts, and without those you'll find its usefulness rather limited.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Good luck to you.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:07 PM   #5
macdong
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to macdong Send a message via Yahoo to macdong
depends on how familiary you are with programming concepts.
if you are at least at the intermedia level with C++, i'd say you can start looking at Cocoa and Object-C.
if not, get a C++ book or two and finish them first.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Applespider
macrumors 603

I'll make a non-programming suggestion.

Get to understand how your Mac works and read through Apple's Human Interface Guidelines before you start designing your application. There are lots of little touches that make an application 'Mac-like' and some important concepts like making sure you don't just use 'Yes' or 'No' on dialogue boxes, making sure the defaults are non-destructive.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:19 PM   #7
macdong
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to macdong Send a message via Yahoo to macdong
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing
Hi ckeck. I recommend you start off with either a Java or C++ book that teaches you the concepts in a text based environment (like Mac terminal apps) so that you can understand real OOP and programming concepts. Then, you might want to try out some of the objective-C tutorials. Apple has one included in the developer documentation that is very nice. I am a seasoned C++ programmer who had no trouble at all diving right into Java's GUI stuff quite easily, but Apple's cocoa stuff was much more complicated for me. I have it more or less figured out, but I don't have any real big apps under my belt yet. (no time)

If you want to do mac programming, and therefore want to ultimately use Cocoa/objective-C, then I suggest you learn C++ first. When you're ready for GUI stuff, move into Obj-C. The syntax differences aren't too crazy. You can try to dive right into Obj-C but I am not familiar with any books that use it to teach beginning programming concepts, and without those you'll find its usefulness rather limited.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Good luck to you.
it is certainlly recommended that you know a bit of programming concepts before looking at Cocoa and Object-C.
C++ particularly would be useful.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming