Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Just bought an Air 2 and am having the same WIFI issues that have been well documented on the net. My IP6 has the same issues on 8.1 and since it’s cellular I haven’t worried too much about it. Now that the Air 2 is WIFI only I’m looking for a solution. Some of the chatter has died down and I don’t see much discussion on here lately. Has there been a consensus reached on the disconnection WIFI issue? I’m currently using an older DLink N router. Would my best bet be to buy an AC router and update to 8.1.2? My IP4 on 8.1 has no issues, so I believe it’s how 8.1xx talks to the new WIFI chipset in the new devices.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
An ac router just improves the bandwidth, do the people solve the wifi problem with this?!

Im in 8.1.2 and my Air 2 disconnects only with the relatively weak signals so far...

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
An ac router just improves the bandwidth, do the people solve the wifi problem with this?!

Im in 8.1.2 and my Air 2 disconnects only with the relatively weak signals so far...

Yes, if you read the hundreds of forum postings about WIFI issues and iOS 8.x you will see that some have solved their problems by buying a new AC standard router. Anyway, I just updated to 8.1.2 and will see if it's any better. If not I'll buy an AC router such as the Airport Extreme or Asus model and see if that helps.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Yes, if you read the hundreds of forum postings about WIFI issues and iOS 8.x you will see that some have solved their problems by buying a new AC standard router. Anyway, I just updated to 8.1.2 and will see if it's any better. If not I'll buy an AC router such as the Airport Extreme or Asus model and see if that helps.

Did you finally solve it?

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Upto iOS 8.1.2 my Air 2 had difficulty in finding 5Ghz ac network. It just doesn't show up in Wifi menu or during initial setup wizard. After a minute, it shows up. But since 8.2 b5 or 8.3 b2, this problem is fixed.

I find that on ac 5Ghz network, if I am sitting in next room the connection speed drops from 866 Mbps to 200 Mbps. This may be due to a cement wall in between. By the way I use ASUS RT-AC68U which is supposed to be top of the line ac router.

The negative hype about wifi issues has died down because Apple has quietly fixed wifi issues with each passing update.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
The negative hype about wifi issues has died down because Apple has quietly fixed wifi issues with each passing update.

Not for me, my air 2 is starting to drop the connection even with good enough signals. I have disabled wifi networking services, reseted the network settings and have put custom dns with no success... im on 8.1.3.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Not for me, my air 2 is starting to drop the connection even with good enough signals. I have disabled wifi networking services, reseted the network settings and have put custom dns with no success... im on 8.1.3.

Your iPad may be having a genuine hardware issue. If it is that serious, get it replaced by Apple.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Did you finally solve it?

Yeah I fixed it but I’m not 100% what fixed it. I did return the pad and got another in which the WIFI was solid before I got a new router. I think early units had bad network chips in them or at least chips which did not play nice with iOS 8.

I also got the Airport Extreme as I was due for an AC router anyway.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Your iPad may be having a genuine hardware issue. If it is that serious, get it replaced by Apple.

Thing is, it doesnt always happens. It can be days without disconnecting and then one day it starts dropping the wifi once i stream something or watch a video.

However this never happens if im close to the router...

I hope it is a software thing, as it is not a blatant problem i may not get it repaired/replaced and could very well be without the ipad for a month or more.

Yeah I fixed it but I’m not 100% what fixed it. I did return the pad and got another in which the WIFI was solid before I got a new router. I think early units had bad network chips in them or at least chips which did not play nice with iOS 8.

I also got the Airport Extreme as I was due for an AC router anyway.

Mine is from early december... but i dont think it is something to do with the date of built as i have read similar problems with the newly bought air2's.

Could it be that the air2 has the weakest antenna of all apple products? compared with my other apple devices that seems to be the case so far and im not only talking about it dropping the wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.