Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vagos1103gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Hi everybody, I show in one topic that somebody report the high temperatures on valley benchmarks to AppleCare and being told is not normal and to bring there for examines. Mine are max 101 on valley benchmark. Should I call?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
you paid for applecare. you deserve free phone support. go ahead and call them, it won't cost you anything

if you said you didn't buy applecare, then .. that call is $39 heh

100 degrees is nothing. intel cpus won't start slowing down until they reach 160

your post did not say if this was celsius or Fahrenheit.

when in doubt run apple hardware test in extended mode. if it has any heating or fan issues, a.h.t. will tell you

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
on my mac book pro using "basic" and "extreme" i got about 79 to 83 degrees celsius.

i dunno if i would pay $$ to fix this. it might be normal , because you are using a lot of cpu and gpu power on that benchmark..

try clearing pram and smc
support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

clearing the smc will reset all the fans

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
I was told by two tech support representatives at Apple that 108C and 105C was "not safe for anything".

I returned my 5K iMac for a full refund and am keeping an eye out for improvements. I'm willing to wait a few months, though, for the next 5K iMac.

You should definitely contact AppleCare if you have concerns with a product of this value.

All that being said, yours seems cooler compared to most that have posted in that thread.

vagos1103gr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
101 is celcius of the gpu. Imac 5k 295 card. I don't have any issues like throttling during gaming. I just start to worrying seing other people discussing in this forum about heat problems and also contacting Apple being told that this is not normal.

Last edited:

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Simply put, unless the heat is negatively impacting your usage or experience, just enjoy the iMac.

It is well known the M295X runs very hot. "How hot is too hot?" is still very much up for debate. The release of another laptop with the M295X inside would help establish this. Until then, you have to make the decision for yourself - but see what Apple say first.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
101 is celcius of the gpu. Imac 5k 295 card. I don't have any issues like throttling during gaming. I just start to worrying seing other people discussing in this forum about heat problems and also contacting Apple being told that this is not normal.

The 295 card runs hot during gaming so its normal. Nothing to worry about right now. You have AppleCare so just enjoy your iMac.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
you paid for applecare. you deserve free phone support. go ahead and call them, it won't cost you anything

if you said you didn't buy applecare, then .. that call is $39 heh

100 degrees is nothing. intel cpus won't start slowing down until they reach 160

your post did not say if this was celsius or Fahrenheit.

Pretty obvious he means Celsius, since 101F (38C) would be ludcrously low.

The maximum temp for Intel processors is 105C not 160C, by the way.

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
Intel and heat

Intel chips will shut down before they overheat. That is a feature of the CPU alone so it's managed right at the source. Software utilities are not always accurate and only a reference anyway but you can always take a Mac in for diagnostics to be sure, regardless.

Last edited:

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Pretty obvious he means Celsius, since 101F (38C) would be ludcrously low.

The maximum temp for Intel processors is 105C not 160C, by the way.

i thought he was talking fahrenheit.

depends on the processor, some are 105c some are 95 c

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
He said "slow down" not "shut down" so you guys are talking two different temperatures.

Slow down will cause the Turbo Boost to activate less as temperatures go up, and that temperature isn't anywhere near 105C).

For max there's core vs. case temperature. Intel quotes something close to 71C.

http://ark.intel.com/products/80810
http://ark.intel.com/products/80807

I don't think they do. I've read the specs and I haven't seen that anywhere. I'd be interested in the relevant quote.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
The links are right below what you bolded. If you're interested, just click and you will be whisked away to a world of wonder where the answer to your every question can be blissfully found! OK, well only the ones on the Intel processors we're talking about. ;)

(If you're implying you couldn't find them in the supplied links--it wasn't clear from your statement--I will try to find a more direct link... but it is right on that page in the Tcase spec.)

And then when you're done reading the specs, there's links on those pages to engineering data sheets which will show you that the temperatures aren't really a hard and fast rule. But the formulas for calculations are there to determine how turbo boost gets applied (or not), etc.

I'm fully conversant with Intel Ark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.