Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benrd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Need to take my 6 to genius bar for replacement :(
Finally at a place I am happy with tweaks etc and now I have to take my phone in because it has a loose screen in the top left corner.
What's the best way to go about it?
Should I risk taking in while jail broken because I don't want to go back to stock and be told they won't replace the phone?
Any way to back up and restore tweaks/apps from Chris?

Cheers!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Finally at a place I am happy with tweaks etc and now I have to take my phone in because it has a loose screen in the top left corner.
Should I risk taking in while jail broken because I don't want to go back to stock and be told they won't replace the phone?

Cheers!
It is always a good idea to present them with a stock phone. Anything else, even if you get a genius who could care less, is risking denial of warranty.

Backup your tweaks (there are plenty of tweaks in Cydia for this).
Do an iTunes or iCloud backup.
Put the phone in DFU mode while connected to iTunes.
Update and restore.

When you get your new phone, restore the phone, jailbreak, restore your tweaks.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Cheers!

Funny I did this yesterday.... my volume button was sticking, so I had the device swapped under warranty.

Not sure why people are telling you to put the phone into DFU mode, etc.. Apple has made it way more simple for you than that.. back it up, then click RESTORE PHONE in iTunes and bam, you're done. No need to go manually putting it into DFU... that's just silly.

A couple pieces of advice... assuming there are no ghosts int he closet (so restore from backup is ok), then your tweak preferences will transfer over fine. I've used several tweak backup\restore programs, and I always have more problems than benefit. I just manually reinstall the tweaks (use the queue functionality so it'll only take 5 mins or less).. then when you re-start, it'll be looking like it did on the old device. I love that after a backup\restore your cydia tweak settings are also moved over, so I don't have to re-setup all the tweaks!

As for taking it into Apple, I just did a restore, took it in and explained the volume button wasn't working (which they clicked and sure enough didn't work lol), and they pulled out a replacement, moved my sim, and done, 5 mins in\out.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Funny I did this yesterday.... my volume button was sticking, so I had the device swapped under warranty.

Not sure why people are telling you to put the phone into DFU mode, etc.. Apple has made it way more simple for you than that.. back it up, then click RESTORE PHONE in iTunes and bam, you're done. No need to go manually putting it into DFU... that's just silly.

A couple pieces of advice... assuming there are no ghosts int he closet (so restore from backup is ok), then your tweak preferences will transfer over fine. I've used several tweak backup\restore programs, and I always have more problems than benefit. I just manually reinstall the tweaks (use the queue functionality so it'll only take 5 mins or less).. then when you re-start, it'll be looking like it did on the old device. I love that after a backup\restore your cydia tweak settings are also moved over, so I don't have to re-setup all the tweaks!

As for taking it into Apple, I just did a restore, took it in and explained the volume button wasn't working (which they clicked and sure enough didn't work lol), and they pulled out a replacement, moved my sim, and done, 5 mins in\out.
It was necessary for me to put my phone in DFU mode when I tried to restore in August 2014.

Of course the phone was on iOS 6.1 at the time and I had forgotten I had a tweak installed that prevented direct, non DFU restores, but the other side of the issue is that people think they can just restore from their phone. That, to my understanding now does nothing.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It was necessary for me to put my phone in DFU mode when I tried to restore in August 2014.

Of course the phone was on iOS 6.1 at the time and I had forgotten I had a tweak installed that prevented direct, non DFU restores, but the other side of the issue is that people think they can just restore from their phone. That, to my understanding now does nothing.

HEHE, yeah if you have a restore-prevention tweak installed that'd make it hard to restore from iTunes hehe. Gotta take off your seatbelt before you try to get out of the car.

Regarding the restore-from-phone, it does still work. If you do a Reset All, it literally wipes the phone to stock.. I just did it with one I upgraded a couple months back. The thing I can't remember is if it still has to be plugged into iTunes to activate or not.

Either way, he's got to plug in to iTunes to backup, so best course of action is to use iTunes to restore to factory.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Regarding the restore-from-phone, it does still work. If you do a Reset All, it literally wipes the phone to stock.. I just did it with one I upgraded a couple months back. The thing I can't remember is if it still has to be plugged into iTunes to activate or not.

Not on a jailbroken device...it will do one of two things. Put you in a loop that you have to do a soft reset to get out of. It will then throw you back to the home screen with no data wiped

Or it will put you in a boot loop that you must put in recovery mode and restore to get working again. Reset all content and settings should never be performed on a jailbroken device.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Could be far worse.

At least the replacement will be jailbreakable as it will be 8.1.2 or lower.

And if you want latest/JB'able, you can always restore to 8.1.2 while the golden window is open if it isn't already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.