Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnh57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Montana
I have the need for a relatively simple php/mysql app and I would appreciate guidance as to a decent book or guide to learning the basics.

Unfortunately my programming skills end with fortran iv and mainframe computers, and those skills are seriously rusty.

Is there a decent publication for php? I dont want youtube, or online tutorials just yet. I'd like an decent honest to goodness book that covers html and php.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I moved your post over to the Web Design and Development forum where you are more likely get some help.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have the need for a relatively simple php/mysql app and I would appreciate guidance as to a decent book or guide to learning the basics.

Unfortunately my programming skills end with fortran iv and mainframe computers, and those skills are seriously rusty.

Is there a decent publication for php? I dont want youtube, or online tutorials just yet. I'd like an decent honest to goodness book that covers html and php.

Sams Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache. All in one starter kit for learning. Will include everything you need. Sams Teach Yourself HTML, CSS and Javascript All In One. Both good books for starting and easy to follow along.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can get the basics with free interactive lessons at codeacademy.com
Classes in HTML, CSS, JavaScript jQuery, PHP, Python, Ruby
Keeps track of your progress too.

johnh57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Montana
Thanks, I ordered some guides. It remains to be seen if I got the right ones.

The tutotrials are fine, but they seem massively counter intuitive to me. Each tutorial seems to begin assuming you already know something about some other code or language first.

I read a bit about one code, then go read about another code the first code seems to refer to the most. I'm beginning to build a conceptual diagram in my head about programming architecture, but its slow going given my archaeic background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.