Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
They've disbanded their software suites. Nothing new, but the software suites were iconic to the brand. I know Apple isn't exactly a "software" company, but at the same time they kinda are.. So they seem to be phasing out their obligations to release yearly major upgrades to anything but iOS and OS X (no more iWork or iLife whatever year). I'm just afraid this signals a generation where Apple doesn't really put in anything exciting for the consumer or professionals. Sad to see the departure of Aperture, and before that, Logic.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Logic was updated the other day...

People are using their computers very differently now compared to 10 years ago. There are probably more people asking how to delete GarageBand, iMovie, Photo Booth, and iWork, instead of how to use these applications. The new generation of computer users are very much into consumption and not productivity.

I think most of us don't want Apple to abandon these programs, but we also don't want them to just bloat them up with features we don't need or want. They probably understand this, which is why they decided to discontinue iPhoto and replace it with Photos. It won't be exactly like iPhoto, but it will address the things a lot of us hated about it, and the stuff we loved. It could very well be followed by an iMovie revamp.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
...People are using their computers very differently now compared to 10 years ago....I think most of us don't want Apple to abandon these programs, but we also don't want them to just bloat them up with features we don't need or want....

I think you have this just right, Apple I suspect now assess the 3rd party software industry as capable of providing increased features and functions, leaving Apple to create enabling frameworks and device-to-device compatible connections for these apps to use.

Previously of course Apple felt the need to support and provide a wider range of applications directly to build brand and market share to the current stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.