Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
blitzkrieg79
macrumors 6502

How to replace color?

Hi guys,

Although I consider myself to be an experienced computer user I am starting to learn Adobe Photoshop and its secrets. I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.0. Anyway, please refer to the attached image. My question is, what is the fastest way to replace the color of an image so that the color changes but the reflections seen on the car stay there.

I tried using the Color Select Tool but it either is time consuming or am I missing something? There must be something more time efficient than this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evox.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	42340  
blitzkrieg79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:30 PM   #2
HughJ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Hi guys,

Although I consider myself to be an experienced computer user I am starting to learn Adobe Photoshop and its secrets. I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.0. Anyway, please refer to the attached image. My question is, what is the fastest way to replace the color of an image so that the color changes but the reflections seen on the car stay there.

I tried using the Color Select Tool but it either is time consuming or am I missing something? There must be something more time efficient than this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
there are a number of ways to do this, MY prefered way is to draw a selection around the object using the Pen tool, saving the selection (double clicking in Path pallett...for future colour changes) then creating a new layer and simply filling the new area with colour (on the new layer NOT the original Pic layer) then playing with the modes (at the top of the layer palette...usually says "normal") usually "colour" gives the best results in maintaining the shadows and highlights

edit: the results are entirely dependant on the original image, for instance if you have a green car and want to make it red, overlaying red will not produce the desired colour...in an ideal world you should try and work with a silver car as it has both strong highlights and shadows, whereas a white car generally will have very weak highlights

Last edited by HughJ; Mar 2, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
HughJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:50 PM   #3
stevep
macrumors 6502a

After using the selection tool of your choice (along with quickmask mode if you want to) use an adjustment layer to preserve the original image. Use the Hue and Saturation or the Color Balance sliders to alter the colour. You might find the Color Balance sliders better, but play around to see which gives you the desired results.
As with all things Photoshop, this is only one of several possible methods.
stevep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Orlando Furioso
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Orlando Furioso
Interesting problem. Here is my attempt (God knows I need to practice). It is not as dark as I would have liked it but it already starts to loose hi-lights at this shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evox_playing.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	42359  
Orlando Furioso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5
stridey
macrumors 65816

Here's an in-depth tutorial that's actually for your exact question:

http://creativebits.org/photoshop/colorizing_cars
stridey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #6
e-clipse
macrumors 6502

I go into the image menu and select hue and saturation.

I move the hue fader to desired color.

I then select the History Brush, zoom in, and color over anything that needs to match the original pic.

This takes me a few minutes at most
Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:16 AM   #7
blitzkrieg79
macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for all the helpful info.

Oh and for those interested, the method that I found the least complicated and most time efficient (that works with Photoshop 7 as I don't have CS) is located at http://creativebits.org/photoshop/tr...lors_using_lab

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; Mar 3, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Orlando Furioso
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Orlando Furioso
blitzkrieg, that is exactly what I used. Took all of a minute. No more. LAB color space is wonderful.
Orlando Furioso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:03 PM   #9
ATD
macrumors 6502a

LAB is a great space for doing that. One thing about some of these methods that get overlooked, laying a down flat color (or Hue/Saturation then Colorize) will give the same color hue in the highlights and shadows. Most colors will be slightly warmer in the highlights and slightly cooler in the shadows. Like in the red car the highlights would move slightly to orange and the shadows slightly to purple. I sometimes will put an extra adjustment on top to get that color difference.
ATD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:11 AM   #10
weg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridey
Here's an in-depth tutorial that's actually for your exact question:

http://creativebits.org/photoshop/colorizing_cars
Or you could use the color replacement tool as someone commented at the URL above...
http://www.jdempsey.com/?p=195
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:46 AM   #11
blitzkrieg79
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by weg
Or you could use the color replacement tool as someone commented at the URL above...
http://www.jdempsey.com/?p=195

But that only works with Photoshop CS, not Photoshop 7.0.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics