Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stooie3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Hi guys, I recently sold a 2009 Mac mini on eBay but when the buyer received it, it didn't power on. He returned it, I opened it up and the internals were, to say the least, a disaster. The logic board was loose because the metal lugs that it screws in to had stripped out of the plastic casing, the GPU heat sink was hanging half off, and there was what I think is a connector just rattling around loose in the casing. It appears to have been dropped in the post.

I've had a good look over the logic board and it seems to be intact. I'm hoping I can fix it, but I can't find where this little piece of plastic has come from! If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. It's mostly plastic, with a metal frame around it. I can't tell if it's structural or part of the circuitry.

Kind regards,

Stu

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi guys, I recently sold a 2009 Mac mini on eBay but when the buyer received it, it didn't power on. He returned it, I opened it up and the internals were, to say the least, a disaster. The logic board was loose because the metal lugs that it screws in to had stripped out of the plastic casing, the GPU heat sink was hanging half off, and there was what I think is a connector just rattling around loose in the casing. It appears to have been dropped in the post.

I've had a good look over the logic board and it seems to be intact. I'm hoping I can fix it, but I can't find where this little piece of plastic has come from! If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. It's mostly plastic, with a metal frame around it. I can't tell if it's structural or part of the circuitry.

Kind regards,

Stu

Looks like your IR sensor....

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/1Q6kBoHMSuoCEvgK.huge

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1283+IR+Board+&+Cable+Replacement/1061

I broke the IR sensor on one of my 2012 Mini's (got a little carried away) and it works just fine. Just can't use it for MediaCenter duties (at least not with IR)....

stooie3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks!

That's it, thanks! I can live without the IR sensor. I'm just praying that the logic board is otherwise OK, and I just need to reattach everything.

Thanks again,

Stu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.