Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have a time capsule coming and have a question about the first initial backup....

I have 2-mac mini's and a mac book; all running Yosemite on a ddwrt wireless network. I plan turning off the time capsules wireless settings and use it as a LAN drive attacked to the router. All three mac would backup to the time capsule. Eventually I may use the time capsule as a router, but for not I'm keeping the old router.

I have read the first backups can take a long time on a wireless network. My question is could I connect the mac mini's directly to the time machine for the first backup of each machine, then connect it to the router upstairs after?

I have read a bit about turning off the wireless settings, but any help or suggestions on setting it up as a LAN drive would be appreciated.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have read a bit about turning off the wireless settings, but any help or suggestions on setting it up as a LAN drive would be appreciated.

Connect the Time Capsule to the DD-WRT router via Ethernet. It should get connected from a LAN port on the DD-WRT router to the WAN port on the Time Capsule.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

I got it today; turned it on and attempted to go through the setup as described. No matter what I did, I could not find an option to connect w/o a wireless network. Only options to use as a main router.

Maybe it is the new airport setup utility?

Called apple; they were polite and had all my info quickly, but they are very inflexible. They said they do not support using the time capsule in an Ethernet setup and he couldn't help.

Mentioning that I just spent $300 for a backup device and that I could replace what it does with a usb drive for half the price got me no sympathy. Silence, you must use apple routers with Apple products. (Thats just the impression I get)

So I ended up just setting up the wireless network, then just shutting off the wireless part manually. Worked perfect. Connected it to my macbook via an Ethernet and it recognized and started backing up at Ethernet speeds.

I'll repeat with my mac mini's and then connect it to the router. Hopefully it will work over the Ethernet and my wireless router.

Last edited:

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
So far so good, I verified yesterdays backup overnight.

The backup was directly connected to the computers, the verifications were over the ddwrt wireless network.

Only issue I has this morning was it taking a while to prepare the backup, it took almost 20 minutes. Not sure that has anything to do with how it is connected.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So far so good, I verified yesterdays backup overnight.

The backup was directly connected to the computers, the verifications were over the ddwrt wireless network.

Only issue I has this morning was it taking a while to prepare the backup, it took almost 20 minutes. Not sure that has anything to do with how it is connected.

Is it connected via Ethernet to the DD-WRT router?

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Time Capsule's LAN port is connected to LAN port on ddwrt router.

Mac's are connected via wireless network, backups worked faster today.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Time Capsule's LAN port is connected to LAN port on ddwrt router.

Mac's are connected via wireless network, backups worked faster today.

It should be Time Capsule WAN port to LAN port on DD-WRT router for it to work as an NAS. The TC should be in Bridge Mode with the wireless turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.