Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
So after trying to fix Java 6 on Leopard with no success, I decided to dual-boot Ubuntu and OS X. I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz, with the standard 64 mb NVIDIA 5200 FX which apparently has problems with Ubuntu :rolleyes:. So what happens is I boot the Mac from the DVD and after the white screen appears the screen goes black and is in a sort-of "sleep mode". I bypassed this with Ubuntu 14 but it wouldn't make it past the loading screen and terminal said something was missing, so I tried to install Ubuntu 12, using the same methods, but with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
So after trying to fix Java 6 on Leopard with no success, I decided to dual-boot Ubuntu and OS X. I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz, with the standard 64 mb NVIDIA 5200 FX which apparently has problems with Ubuntu :rolleyes:. So what happens is I boot the Mac from the DVD and after the white screen appears the screen goes black and is in a sort-of "sleep mode". I bypassed this with Ubuntu 14 but it wouldn't make it past the loading screen and terminal said something was missing, so I tried to install Ubuntu 12, using the same methods, but with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't think posting here will get you far. Try the ubuntu forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I just installed ubuntu 12 on my ibook with an ssd... Runs terrible imo :p

Im installing for the Java, I need to do programming stuff for school that requires Java 6 so speed doesn't matter to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.