Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamnotme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
SW Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

First post here, new user. Just got my first ever mac, a 13" rMBP with 512GB SSD and 16GB ram. I absolutely love the machine. Would love to have the quad core but I need to be portable and I thought the 15" is a bit too big, but that's really for another thread.

I am a fairly experienced C and Java programmer but the reason behind me going Apple OS X is I have a device I work with with linux and Windoz drivers that I need to port to OS X. I'm reading the manual from Apple's dev site but I wanted to see if anyone has any pointers. The device itself is not overly complicated, it is essentially a DVB-T tv tuner stick. It isn't too different from an off the shelf TV tuner, it's just got some functions that I use at work.

So if anyone has done anything similar, I would really welcome pointers.

Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Do you have the source code for the Linux driver?

Do you have documentation on the protocols the device uses?

If you have neither, I feel you're SOOL.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
It depends on where you want the driver to be: user space or driver. Writing a kernel driver (for IOKit) will require learning C++. As for user-space, all the APIs you would need to access the hardware are in C, although they use the retain-release cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.