Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Cyanogen CM CEO: “Today, Cyanogen has some dependence on Google. Tomorrow, it will not.”
http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogen-google-kirt-mcmaster-582373/

To remove all doubts right from the get go, here’s how McMaster introduced himself: “I’m the CEO of Cyanogen. We’re attempting to take Android away from Google.” Asked to detail his vision, McMaster explained that Cyanogen wants to provide a version of Android that is open down to its core, that partners can use to build highly integrated services, in a way that is not possible right now with Google’s Android

And another good article on this;

Is Google Playing Fair with Android Developers?
https://www.theinformation.com/Is-Google-Playing-Fair-with-Android-Developers

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I am losing faith in cyanogen personally, good luck to them.

Was better before, when they were a community group

I think a new store will be tough, if it really has no google services, DOA IMO.
Those who want no google services on their android can already do so and I can't imagine there are many people doing it. Most of the time it's, 'how can I get google services on my device?' like with amazons devices

Google is not perfect for sure and the second article reinforces that I will always want to be able to get root on my device, because then those arguments don't really apply

That said I'm sure I'll be running cm (with gapps :p) when my device stops getting official updates

Last edited:

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
They should have sold to Google when they had the chance. Now, they are doomed to failure and a slow, painful death. (I hate those guys after the stunt they pulled on Oneplus)

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
If Samsung can't get developers and consumers on board with their Galaxy apps considering their scale, how does CM expect to with their niche customer base?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hate those guys after the stunt they pulled on Oneplus
I wouldn't necessarily believe the explanations from OnePlus. They are the masters at spinning a tale and spent most of 2014 filling the inter web full of spin (and blatant lies).

We have not heard from CyanogenMod why they decided to partner with some other crowd. There is certainly more to the story that what OnePlus are saying.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So they're trying to fork the android development? I don't think much will come of it.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Cyanogen CM CEO: “Today, Cyanogen has some dependence on Google. Tomorrow, it will not.”

Part of the quote was edited out and missed a vital portion.

And the day after that, we'll be filing for bankruptcy. :D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Part of the quote was edited out and missed a vital portion.

And the day after that, we'll be filing for bankruptcy. :D

Lofty self image on Cyanogen's part. Too much for android tweaking in fact.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
LL..McMaster is a tool. Dude takes Android and mocks it up with some additions and thinks they will be able to steal it from them? Like he is entitled? How about develope your own?
Goes along with when they made an exclusive with another company while screwing the first one. What a guy. Truly a company i want to spend my money on :rolleyes:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
LL..McMaster is a tool. Dude takes Android and mocks it up with some additions and thinks they will be able to steal it from them? Like he is entitled? How about develope your own?
Goes along with when they made an exclusive with another company while screwing the first one. What a guy. Truly a company i want to spend my money on :rolleyes:

Android is open source Google services are not. The gent is not stealing anything he's removing the proprietary parts of Android.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Ah, so exactly what Android is CM using as base? Surely Google's no, so they are not removing anything proprietary

No but they plop GMS on top of it. Like most they are attaching GMS on top of Android hence my statement Android is open source google services are not. They are going to try to remove GMS with and open source version.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
No but they plop GMS on top of it. Like most they are attaching GMS on top of Android hence my statement Android is open source google services are not. They are going to try to remove GMS with and open source version.
But CM is not using it so they are not removing anything.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yes they are:

It's right in the article.
Nooooooo, they are not part of AOSP, they need that because they wabt to be apart but use Google services

I don't want to pay the cake but I want to eat it

cm knows that without the ability to install a Google Play they won't be used so much.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Nooooooo, they are not part of AOSP, they need that because they wabt to be apart but use Google services

I don't want to pay the cake but I want to eat it

cm knows that without the ability to install a Google Play they won't be used so much.

The beauty of open source is you can do with it what you want i.e. scratch an itch the only restrictions are your skills.

Until they can replace the services like Amazon tried to do. My opinion is they're trying to do what Stallman did to Unix, take each part and write a replacement, whether it will work is another story.

I don't know the mechanics of the play store but it's seems they could just use rsync and clone the store minus the Google stuff and the stuff that has Google service dependencies that should get them at least get them 60% of the store.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
And saying they want to take Android away from Google. Sounds like he wants to steal it to me.

Which has a hint of being delusional.

It's Google's OS, and Cyanogen is 100% dependent on Google's R&D and output so they can offer a tweaked version.

There is no separating Google from Android.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Which has a hint of being delusional.

It's Google's OS, and Cyanogen is 100% dependent on Google's R&D and output so they can offer a tweaked version.

There is no separating Google from Android.

I suspect the media is taking cyanogens rhetorical posterings of ambition, and interpreting them as literal meaning - where the two aren't exactly the same. I doubt we will see Cyanogen create a gimped android version without Google services, simply because there is no appetite for this from users.

If they did, the first thing people would do would be to hack the playstore and Google services back into it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.