Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MidAtlantian2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Hi,

I have a few dozen non-64 bit Framework files in my system (not user) library, most of which are pre 2008 PPC files. Can I safely delete them? I am aware that, for example, Rosetta Stone still uses a PPC format framework file (which I found in the User Library Framework folder) so I am uneasy just getting rid of this stuff.

Thanks

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I have a few dozen non-64 bit Framework files in my system (not user) library, most of which are pre 2008 PPC files. Can I safely delete them? I am aware that, for example, Rosetta Stone still uses a PPC format framework file (which I found in the User Library Framework folder) so I am uneasy just getting rid of this stuff.

Thanks

Why touch them?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Don't delete anything is the System folder. Even if it looks old, don't delete it. Instead, freshly reinstall Mac OS X. Don't ever delete anything from the System folder.

MidAtlantian2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I understand that it is not usually a good idea to remove code from the system folder, but some of this is from the late 90s. It does seem strange that the migration manager pulls this stuff though, but I cannot believe its really useful. I think I understand that frameworks are either used by another program or not, and that they do not actually interfere with the system's operation, having noticed them, I thought to delete them. This began when it turned out that a PPC code add-on - admittedly in the User library - was causing a seemingly unrelated problem in one of my applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.