Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought a Loop Pay fob, and in conjunction with Apple Pay, I now no longer carry a wallet of any kind. If I get cash, they just go folded up into my pocket.

Now I carry my phone, the fob, and a drivers license. Before that I would carry about 20 cards with me, I kind of wish Apple embedded Loop Pay in addition to NFC.

Of course I'll always try Apple Pay first before resorting to my loop fob.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What about EMV only cards or terminals that will come later this year as part of the mandate?

This of course is not a permanent solution, just having fun with the fact I could do this now. When EMV terminals are more widely deployed, I will have to wonder the Plastc Card, and heres to hoping the new EMV terminals will have NFC enabled for more Apple Pay.

----------

where do you put your drivers license ?

Just in my pocket.

----------

Punch a hole and add it to the keychain :)

Wish I could do that, but can't, places here like to swipe/insert/scan to verify your identity or age. At the local club, they take your license and it gets inserted into a reader to read the magnetic stripe, and then the reader tells the bouncer if you're banned from the club, or if you're VIP after so many visits, or if you're just plain under 21.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I just bought a Loop Pay fob, and in conjunction with Apple Pay, I now no longer carry a wallet of any kind. If I get cash, they just go folded up into my pocket.

Now I carry my phone, the fob, and a drivers license. Before that I would carry about 20 cards with me, I kind of wish Apple embedded Loop Pay in addition to NFC.

Of course I'll always try Apple Pay first before resorting to my loop fob.

Been doing this for over a year now. But instead of the FOB, I have one debit card I carry in my front pocket with my phone. Nothing else needed, not even cash. Don't even bother taking my Drivers License with me, unless it is needed for something like renting a car. I maintain a digital copy of my license on an app called Cardmate (requires me to manually enter a swipe pattern to get in to it, so Touch ID/PIN can't be forced), just in case I get pulled over. As long as a cop can verify your identity, a physical copy of the ID is not required to be on your person.

P.S. I had been wondering about the Loop Pay FOB. I'm guessing you highly recommend it?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just looked up loop and it seems pretty neat. I think this is the direction phones are going anyway though. I especially liked the case with the little removable fob and a slot for your ID, a card, light cash, etc.

Had this been something that came out 5+ years ago I would be all about it. As it stands now, I think I will just wait. I am thinking Apple Pay will become virtually ubiquitous. Once BofA allows for trasnactions at an ATM via Apple Pay I will probably never use the card again.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't work with chip? Useless in my country then :p

Not so fast, banks can issue you a mobile card without Service Code 201, but with 101 instead so you can use it at chip terminals.

201 is what says "Insert chip" when you swipe.

----------

Uh some take cash only

$20 in my pocket should suffice and I have yet to encounter a cash only place where I live. Even food trucks take card using Square. Buses and trains too through the Farebox.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Should I return my wallet? I really like it. I've been looking for something this slim for years.
_9890483.jpg

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Uh some take cash only

I haven't encountered a "cash only" place in about a decade. Even many vending machines take credit cards and NFC payments.

----------

For people who carry one or two cards I don't think Loop Pay is a worthwhile investment. I have 20 or so, so I think now I can have all the cards with me at all times.

I still think it is a worthwhile investment, especially from a security standpoint. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just in my pocket.
I carried my subway pass in my front pocket, and one day, I absent mildly put my phone in the same pocket. Shortly there after, I pulled the phone out to use it, and the pass came with it (which I did not notice), it then fell to the ground somewhere.

my point is that you risk losing your identification if you put it in your pocket like that.

What's the harm in a wallet? I think its a great product for keeping my credit cards/subway pass/license safe, secure and in easily retrieved.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
For a long time I carried two wallets as a precaution. In case of being accosted, I would reluctantly hand over the wallet that held less value and easily replaceable documentation.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hopefully 2016 the uk will push through digital driving licences then the wallet will be a thing of the past. With nfc being around for a few years over here apple pay should propogate very quickly over here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.