Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
i looked at Parallels 10 - seems OS X 10.6 is not supported? need version 9?

have 2013 27" imac - need to run 10.6 as secondary system with rosetta support for some old special software.

can you confirm what version will work? any issues - especially with rosetta under virtualization?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Server version of 10.6 will work in Parallels 10. Client version is not allowed to be installed.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Parallels Desktop 10 System Requirements

Supported 64-bit Operating Systems for virtual machines:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server 10.6.x

Yes you can, if you have a copy of Snow Leopard server. It's the only version of Snow Leopard that can be virtualized. Lion and up will let you run the standard OS. This is because of Apple’s EULA which states that only OS X Server can be run in a virtual machine before Lion where they changed it.

You could also find an older mac to run it on, or find an alternative for your old software (not always possible, I know).

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
i don't want to run server version.
can i just get v9 and run client OS X 10.6 with rosetta working?

i want to confirm with someone who knows.

it says server and consumer version:
http://kb.parallels.com/114381

* consumer = standard client?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not without breaking the EULA as it doesn't state that the client version of Snow Leopard is allowed to be virtualized like the server version's does. The server version of Snow Leopard is only $20. The consumer is the client or standard version of Snow Leopard.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Not without breaking the EULA as it doesn't state that the client version of Snow Leopard is allowed to be virtualized like the server version's does. The server version of Snow Leopard is only $20. The consumer is the client or standard version of Snow Leopard.

can you translate that?
WILL STANDARD client 10.6.8 WORK with rosetta in parallels 9 in OSX 10.10.1?

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 4.17.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 4.17.41 PM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 189

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That looks to be the chart that shows what versions of Parallels can be installed on what versions of Mac OS X. Not what versions of Mac OS X can be installed in what versions of Parallels.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

I'm sure you meant the client version is only $20. The Server version is a bit more than that.

I had wanted to run Snow Leopard in Parallels as well. Eventually gave up and installed it on a Mac which is old enough to run it natively.

There are ways of installing Snow Leopard client in Virtualbox, but if you're freaked out about violating the EULA it's obviously not for you.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I'm sure you meant the client version is only $20. The Server version is a bit more than that.

I had wanted to run Snow Leopard in Parallels as well. Eventually gave up and installed it on a Mac which is old enough to run it natively.

There are ways of installing Snow Leopard client in Virtualbox, but if you're freaked out about violating the EULA it's obviously not for you.

tell me about virtual box - never used it before. intuitive, easy to use?
i don't care what it is - i just need to get it working and needs to support rosetta in the virtualization.

on VB website: Mac OS X Server (Leopard, Snow Leopard) Works without Additions See Manual for more information.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
i looked at Parallels 10 - seems OS X 10.6 is not supported? need version 9?

have 2013 27" imac - need to run 10.6 as secondary system with rosetta support for some old special software.

can you confirm what version will work? any issues - especially with rosetta under virtualization?

Let's start over!

It was a common Urban Myth that the EULA for Snow Leopard prohibited its virtualization in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks on a Mac. The myth was largely propogated due to an incorrect support document posted by Parallels in their support forum. That myth has been debunked in the last three years.

Apple's drastic 95% reduction of the price of Snow Leopard Server to the same $20 as Snow Leopard client rendered whatever remains of that debate largely moot.

To the extend that you would rather virtualize Snow Leopard client instead of Snow Leopard Server (and in all of my experience, you would be the first person asking to do so who can easily obtain SLS - Why do you want to virtualize SL client?), you can follow these instructions to install and run Snow Leopard client in Parallels

These instructions will work in Parallels 7, 8, 9 and 10 with some minor modifications in the instructions for installing Parallel Tools.

Good luck!

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Let's start over!

It was a common Urban Myth that the EULA for Snow Leopard prohibited its virtualization in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks on a Mac. The myth was largely propogated due to an incorrect support document posted by Parallels in their support forum. That myth has been debunked in the last three years.

Apple's drastic 95% reduction of the price of Snow Leopard Server to the same $20 as Snow Leopard client rendered whatever remains of that debate largely moot.

To the extend that you would rather virtualize Snow Leopard client instead of Snow Leopard Server (and in all of my experience, you would be the first person asking to do so who can easily obtain SLS - Why do you want to virtualize SL client?), you can follow these instructions to install and run Snow Leopard client in Parallels

These instructions will work in Parallels 7, 8, 9 and 10 with some minor modifications in the instructions for installing Parallel Tools.

Good luck!

because all i need to run is old special application, so why on earth would i run server edition?

i looked at the tutorial, seems all it does is actually "faking" client as server.
i could probably do it, but it's too much fuss.

what about VM from oracle? will that run client 10.6 natively?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
because all i need to run is old special application, so why on earth would i run server edition?

What is the "old special application?"

Because the Server edition is much easier to install and maintain and you miscontrue that "server" is somehow much more difficult and/or complicated to run than the client addition

i looked at the tutorial, seems all it does is actually "faking" client as server.
i could probably do it, but it's too much fuss.

The "point" of using the Server edition is to avoid ALL of the "fuss."

what about VM from oracle? will that run client 10.6 natively?

None of the other virtualization programs will "easily" run Snow Leopard client. The choice is yours...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

You are the only person I've seen anywhere who claims this is a "myth."
If Apple permitted non-server OSes earlier than 10.7 to be virtualized, VMWare and Parallels would allow it as well. The EULAs for the older desktop OSes do not specifically grant virtualization rights while the server versions do. The nature of software licenses is that the only rights granted to a user are those stated in the EULA.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
You are the only person I've seen anywhere who claims this is a "myth."

Perhaps you do not "get out much!" hahahaha ;)

That being said, I am going to focus, for now, on the OP's request for a solution to his problem and not get involved in side-issues, especially ones that tend to distract him from his goal and/or confuse the issues for him.

In the meantime, the important information that I await from the OP is clarification on:

1) The name of the PowerPC software that the OP needs to run with Rosetta;

2) The reason why the OP thinks he needs to virtualize Snow Leopard client in favor of Snow Leopard Server.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe because the OP has already spent $20 on the client and doesn't want to spend another $20 on the server. Nothing wrong with that reasoning.

Nothing wrong with that reasoning, so long as YOU are willing to spend YOUR time and effort on supporting his efforts to virtualize Snow Leopard client.

As for me, I came to the decision some time ago, that my time in supporting the installation, maintenance and running of Snow Leopard client in virtualization is worth MUCH MORE than the $20 it would cost users to purchase Snow Leopard Server and their ability to much more easily do the same!

And to show you how strongly I feel about this issue, I will let you know that I have actually trans-shipped copies of Snow Leopard Server to several forum members in foreign countries that could not easily purchase Snow Leopard Server!

So, I will just wait to hear from the OP himself on this issue and not continue to engage in idle speculation...

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Nothing wrong with that reasoning, so long as YOU are willing to spend YOUR time and effort on supporting his efforts to virtualize Snow Leopard client.

As for me, I came to the decision some time ago, that my time in supporting the installation, maintenance and running of Snow Leopard client in virtualization is worth MUCH MORE than the $20 it would cost users to purchase Snow Leopard Server and their ability to much more easily do the same!

And to show you how strongly I feel about this issue, I will let you know that I have actually trans-shipped copies of Snow Leopard Server to several forum members in foreign countries that could not easily purchase Snow Leopard Server!

So, I will just wait to hear from the OP himself on this issue and not continue to engage in idle speculation...

No strongly enough to purchase an actual PPC Mac apparently (assuming your reason for virtualizing Snow leopard is the same as the OP's). The emulation Rosetta provides is not as reliable as physical hardware.

By the way, I've gotten PPC Macs for under $20 before.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
My reason is that "necessity is the mother of invention" in that I had a problem with some PowerPC software when my iMac G5 died for the last time and I purchased a Lion 2011 Mac Mini in the late Summer of 2011.

But my specific reasons are now irrelevant, as I have turned my experience into a thread that helps others with the same problem; i.e., running PowerPC software on modern day Macs.

The reason I do not suggest purchasing $20 "old Macs" is readily apparent. The user with this problem alreadys owns an "old Mac" that will run PowerPC software. It is the failure of that Mac and/or the users' desire to purchase a new Mac that raises the problem for which a solution is needed.

Suggesting that the user purchase an older, used Mac is just offering them a ticking time bomb; not giving them a semi-permanent solution.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
My reason is that "necessity is the mother of invention" in that I had a problem with some PowerPC software when my iMac G5 died for the last time and I purchased a Lion 2011 Mac Mini in the late Summer of 2011.

You do know the mid 2011 iMac will natively run Snow Leopard client, no virtualization required, right?
Edit: Somehow I missed where you said Mac mini. You're right, that one shipped with Lion.

The reason I do not suggest purchasing $20 "old Macs" is readily apparent. The user with this problem alreadys owns an "old Mac" that will run PowerPC software. It is the failure of that Mac and/or the users' desire to purchase a new Mac that raises the problem for which a solution is needed.

Often times it's the user's desire to sell the old Mac to help pay for the new one, thinking it would be simple to virtualize Snow Leopard client on the new one to run their old software. They simply don't know it can't easily be done.

Suggesting that the user purchase an older, used Mac is just offering them a ticking time bomb; not giving them a semi-permanent solution.

Not one of my PowerPC Macs has died while in my possession. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, I'm just stating a fact.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
You do know the mid 2011 iMac will natively run Snow Leopard client, no virtualization required, right?

How does that information help the OP?

Often times it's the user's desire to sell the old Mac to help pay for the new one, thinking it would be simple to virtualize Snow Leopard client on the new one to run their old software. They simply don't know it can't easily be done.

I would bet dollars to donuts, that most users initially have no idea that Snow Leopard can be virtualized and that it virtually [no pun intended] never enters into their decisions about their future Mac purchases until advised otherwise. That being said, Snow Leopard Server CAN be easily virtualized.

Not one of my PowerPC Macs has died while in my possession. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, I'm just stating a fact.

You and I could discuss dozens of issues that are off-topic and will only serve to confuse the OP, so let us avoid the temptation to do just that , OK?

Once the OP is satisfied, fire away! :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You and I could discuss dozens of issues that are off-topic and will only serve to confuse the OP, so let us avoid the temptation to do just that , OK?

Once the OP is satisfied, fire away! :)

These threads often go a little off-topic. It can be hilarious sometimes, especially when it's two idiots arguing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.