Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will begin shipping the Apple Watch in March and will also look to launch its new 12-inch MacBook Air during this quarter, according to a new report by KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo. The analyst also predicted that iPhone shipments would beat expectations for Q1 2015 with over 61 million units shipped, while iPad shipments are expected to total to 10 million units.

applewatchcollection.jpg
Kuo notes that Apple may reveal more details about the Apple Watch before its official launch, revealing specifics on battery life and the start of pre-orders. Most components of the Apple Watch will see high shipments during the quarter, but other key components are expected to see low production yields which may cause a constrained supply. Kuo predicts that Apple will ship 2.8 million Apple Watch units in Q1 2015, and his estimate for a March launch falls in line with previous reports.

15607725144_ef44411b5b_b-800x601.jpg
Kuo's estimate for a Q1 2015 launch of the new 12-inch MacBook Air falls in line with a report earlier this month which stated that Apple supplier Quanta Computer was ramping up production of the notebook for a release this quarter. The 12-inch MacBook Air is expected to feature a new ultra-thin, fan-less design with a high resolution Retina display and a low-power Intel Core M processor. The notebook is also said to be one of the first to take advantage of the new reversible USB Type C connector, which may also be used for charging.

Article Link: Apple Reported to Begin Shipping Apple Watch in March, 12-Inch MacBook Air in Early 2015

maylen

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
How much does KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo pay to be featured on this website?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
If this is true, I wonder if this signals a shift away from the Lightning connector. Apple wouldn't shift to USB-C for just one device. If they do ditch Lightning, that would be one of their shortest-lived standards. But USB-C at least will be more compatible across a range of devices.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I just want a macbook air with retina display.

And have sex with Jessica Alba………… TONIGHT!

Last edited:

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
"Kuo notes that Apple may reveal more details about the Apple Watch before its official launch, revealing specifics on battery life and the start of pre-orders. "

you may it won't just randomly appear in the Apple Store one day? shocking.

----------

I just want a macbook with retina display.

They're on sale right now.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If this is true, I wonder if this signals a shift away from the Lightning connector. Apple wouldn't shift to USB-C for just one device. If they do ditch Lightning, that would be one of their shortest-lived standards. But USB-C at least will be more compatible across a range of devices.

Seeing how Apple always has a proprietary connector (FireWire, 30-pin, Thunderbolt, Lightning), I wouldn't count on it.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
I will definitely be holding off until apple watch 2.

My needs:
wear in shower
wear while sleeping so I can track sleep and have a vibrating alarm so I don't wake up my partner.
36 hours battery life so I can wear at night

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
with few hours of battery life. meh i'll wait for gen 3

hopefully i can take it for a swim by then and have it do some things on its own

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013

Classic Apple - promising but proprietary, closed, expensive "standards" that never take off outside of Apple, live a short life and die a sudden death. They just keep doing it over and over.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I will definitely be holding off until apple watch 2.

My needs:
wear in shower
wear while sleeping so I can track sleep and have a vibrating alarm so I don't wake up my partner.
36 hours battery life so I can wear at night

Out of interest, when would you charge a device that you don't charge at night?

MrMetro

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
Hopefully

Be nice to fix OS X and iOS first before releasing something else that is going to have problems!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

If the only purpose of the port was to charge and transfer data, that might be the case. But the Lightning Connector was designed to do so much more. The main advantage is that the pins can be dynamically reassigned to do different things at different times. This allows it to also be an audio/video out port and I believe that there were other purposes foreseen as well.

One could argue that these other uses of the Lightning port are rarely used by most people and that they can be replicated by Airplay/Bluetooth. So maybe Apple would decide that the extra functions aren't needed. But to just say that Apple chose a proprietary connector just to be different is wrong. They chose it because it offers additional capability that a normal USB connector cannot.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yes, this is one of the most needed features in my opinion. At least basic splash resistance would do - for some, but basic water resistance up to 10 meters would make this watch much more approachable.

What I have been hearing from the day they launched is that the watch is water resistance for things like washing hands, and maybe taking a shower but not resistance to use on a pool or such. I think if you submerge even in shallow water it will break.

Last edited:

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Be nice to fix OS X and iOS first before releasing something else that is going to have problems!

iOS and OS X work perfectly for me. Not a single problem. I'll be up a midnight to pre order the Apple Watch. The more of you who stay away from it, the easier it will be for me to get one. Waterproof, I don't need. I don't need to wear it in the shower.

It's actually hilarious to listen to you guys complain and point out why you won't buy it. Apple is actually aware of every single objection you have. Raising your objections here over and over again will get you nowhere. The watch will be what it will be in it's first generation. And Apple knows it will sell a millions of them without your participation. And they don't care. So, instead of moaning and groaning, find another solution that will make you happy. I promise you that Apple won't mind one little bit and your lost sale will be insignificant. You aren't nearly as powerful as you'd like to think you are.

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
Classic Apple - promising but proprietary, closed, expensive "standards" that never take off outside of Apple, live a short life and die a sudden death. They just keep doing it over and over.
I see this a lot, but I thought 11 years was quite a while for the 30-pin dock connector. When it's convenient all we hear is Apple sticking with things is "stale."

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Not to be a party pooper, but I'm just not interested in these devices. I really wish apple would listen to people on this site and continue developing their desktop line up and focus on making Mac OS 10 as great as it can be. That's what the mac experience is really all about. #

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.