Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
There has been much talk about a potentially VERY high price for the Gold Edition models of Apples Watch.

Naturally, if this was to be the case, as some think it will be, people have been speculating how Apple could justify this from a marketing standpoint.

Also wondering what extra bonus you may get for making such a purchase, given that, this is a version 1 and there is no doubt newer improved models will follow in time.

With that in mind, how about something like this company is offering?

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/promo/Buy-Back?gclid=CLCrtaeBrsMCFefnwgodGogA2Q

Buy Back Guarantee:
A big factor when choosing any watch is depreciation, and the battle between head and heart can lead to compromise. Our Buy Back service, however, lets you fix the value of your watch to guarantee that you get exactly what you paid back into your bank account if you come to sell after two years. Not only that, but we also extend the warranty of Buy Back watches to two years, giving you added peace of mind. Get the best of everything with Buy Back.

Apple could offer the same on Edition watches, and guarantee to buy them back for the price you paid after a set amount of time, so you could pay this high price and be confident your investment will be a good one.

Just a thought :)

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
There is no way Apple will give you back all of your money that far removed from purchase. Product cycles for that company are different than Apple. They aren'y going to let you upgrade for free.

Most likely, they will do what they already do with the iPhone. Basically buy it from you for the going used market value.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Yeah, that's a big nope.

Apple allowing people to pay for a battery or SiP upgrade? That I'd believe on this product.

Apple offering a semi-decent trade-in program? That I'd believe.

But Apple offering to buy back your Apple Watch at purchase price makes absolutely zero sense unless they expect the Edition to increase in value over time. But here's the problem: it's a wrist-worn computer, not a mechanical timepiece. Computers (generally speaking) go down in value the older they get, until they become a collector's item fifteen or twenty years down the road.

What's the upside of doing this? I would sell my stock in a heartbeat if Apple offered a full buyback program to basically loan people products, because that would be the first non-imaginary evidence that Apple is doomed.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Apple's brand strength will prevail.

There's no reason for Apple to deviate from their current retail practices. Besides people that are serious buyers are flush with loads of disposable cash. It's not a big deal.

I give Apple lots of credit for building such an enduring strong brand. They deserve to profit from it.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Apple won't be buying back the gold.

Or else lots of people are going to make lots of money cheating apple.

Shoving off a couple of gold grams inside, and then reselling.

They used to do that a lot with gold coins, when they were used for trade lol... Bad idea.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
There has been much talk about a potentially VERY high price for the Gold Edition models of Apples Watch.

Naturally, if this was to be the case, as some think it will be, people have been speculating how Apple could justify this from a marketing standpoint.

Also wondering what extra bonus you may get for making such a purchase, given that, this is a version 1 and there is no doubt newer improved models will follow in time.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/promo/Buy-Back?gclid=CLCrtaeBrsMCFefnwgodGogA2Q

Buy Back Guarantee:
A big factor when choosing any watch is depreciation, and the battle between head and heart can lead to compromise. Our Buy Back service, however, lets you fix the value of your watch to guarantee that you get exactly what you paid back into your bank account if you come to sell after two years. Not only that, but we also extend the warranty of Buy Back watches to two years, giving you added peace of mind. Get the best of everything with Buy Back.

Apple could offer the same on Edition watches, and guarantee to buy them back for the price you paid after a set amount of time, so you could pay this high price and be confident your investment will be a good one.

Just a thought :)

I doubt Apple would do that. The Buy Back you're referring to actually makes the company money, if you really think about it. Old Rolex's, Omega's, Breitling's among other luxury brands tend to be worth more as they get older. I have an Omega seamaster from 1966 which I paid ~$3,000 for (in today's standards) and is now worth over $5k. 20 years from now, I'm sure it would be worth much more than that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I doubt Apple would do that. The Buy Back you're referring to actually makes the company money, if you really think about it. Old Rolex's, Omega's, Breitling's among other luxury brands tend to be worth more as they get older. I have an Omega seamaster from 1966 which I paid ~$3,000 for (in today's standards) and is now worth over $5k. 20 years from now, I'm sure it would be worth much more than that.

It's a good point and one that I think many will consider.

They could buy a luxury watch, as you have, and see it increase in value each year.

Or they could pay the same for an Apple gold watch and see it lose value each year as you say.

That's why I think many are expecting Apple to do something to 'Sweeten the Deal' so to speak.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

That company only offers the buy back deal on select watch brands and models because they expect them to gain value over that period of time.

Apple could offer a trade-in towards the cost the next model or an upgrade service but I could never see them offering the money back guarantee you are suggesting.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
That company only offers the buy back deal on select watch brands and models because they expect them to gain value over that period of time.

Apple could offer a trade-in towards the cost the next model or an upgrade service but I could never see them offering the money back guarantee you are suggesting.

So basically you never see Apple getting up there into the high quality market, where those other companies are.
And you would see the very best, high end Apple Watches gain in value as the years go by?

Don't ever think that will happen?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
So basically you never see Apple getting up there into the high quality market, where those other companies are.
And you would see the very best, high end Apple Watches gain in value as the years go by?

I don't think so because the technology will be always become outdated.

Why would you pay more money for an older generation :apple:Watch than you would for the latest improved model?

I suppose they could become collectible if there are limited numbers sold but that would probably mean the :apple:Watch is a flop and I'm not expecting that to be the case.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The Edition watches will be expensive, and they will be bought by people who can afford them, not by people wanting their money back.

It's a gadget, a fashion statement, a status symbol, but it isn't an investment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't buy anything back, they're in the business of selling, I don't think that will ever occur.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The Edition watches will be expensive, and they will be bought by people who can afford them, not by people wanting their money back.

It's a gadget, a fashion statement, a status symbol, but it isn't an investment.

I'm rather thinking the Editions are mainly there to sit in a display case alongside the cheaper models and cast an aura over them. The cheaper models are still pretty expensive, but comparing them to one that costs ten times more will make them seem like a bargain.

They'll also generate buzz and sparkle to draw customers into the store, but I don't think many will buy them.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

No. Other watches gain in value because of the exclusivity and the craftsmanship of the movement and watch as a whole. The :apple:Watch doesn't have the craftsmanship to compete. The edition is nothing more that an iPhone squeezed into a gold case. There is no movement. No fine craftsmanship to make it have perpetual motion. Just a few sensors and a computer chip.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
No. Other watches gain in value because of the exclusivity and the craftsmanship of the movement and watch as a whole. The :apple:Watch doesn't have the craftsmanship to compete. The edition is nothing more that an iPhone squeezed into a gold case. There is no movement. No fine craftsmanship to make it have perpetual motion. Just a few sensors and a computer chip.

Ouch!

I'm glad you said that, and not me :D

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
And what does gold have to do with fine craftsmanship?

Not sure if you are referencing my quote or not. Gold has nothing to do with craftsmanship. That was my point. There is nothing "special" about an Apple watch. Making it out of gold doesn't change that.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not sure if you are referencing my quote or not. Gold has nothing to do with craftsmanship. That was my point. There is nothing "special" about an Apple watch. Making it out of gold doesn't change that.

No not really. Just trying to understand the point of this thread.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Interesting take. Although Apple wouldn't offer this, if the market can sustain a high resale value -- if not an appreciation due to a limited quantity produced, that would make the Edition a more appealing investment.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
So what was the purpose of this thread then? And what does gold have to do with fine craftsmanship?

No not really. Just trying to understand the point of this thread.

So you'd not associate "Fine Craftsmanship" with the Apple watch?

What do you think Apple would need to do, to make this a "fine craftsmanship" product in your eyes ?

----------

Interesting take. Although Apple wouldn't offer this, if the market can sustain a high resale value -- if not an appreciation due to a limited quantity produced, that would make the Edition a more appealing investment.

Well, if some are true here, and Apple did price it as $5000 it's not going to be a mass seller, offering some very special deal to buyers of just those models is an option.

Interesting that we seem to still be viewing these Apple Watches as just gadgets that will be worthless (other than the value of the gold) very fast.

Seems we are mentally still a million miles away from viewing anything Apple makes as something to treasure long term.

Do you think Apple are going to try and change this?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
So you'd not associate "Fine Craftsmanship" with the Apple watch?

What do you think Apple would need to do, to make this a "fine craftsmanship" product in your eyes ?

----------

Well, if some are true here, and Apple did price it as $5000 it's not going to be a mass seller, offering some very special deal to buyers of just those models is an option.

Interesting that we seem to still be viewing these Apple Watches as just gadgets that will be worthless (other than the value of the gold) very fast.

Seems we are mentally still a million miles away from viewing anything Apple makes as something to treasure long term.

Do you think Apple are going to try and change this?

The only way that I see it possible for Apple to make the Apple Watch an appreciating asset would be to limit the Edition quantities, and to attempt to market it as a high-end alternative. If they have a real desire to produce a collectible high-end timepiece they should do special editions with brands like Rolex in quantities of <1,000 watches.

As I see it now though I do foresee the Edition watches depreciating quite quickly unless they become a rare, limited model.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
It's a good point and one that I think many will consider.

They could buy a luxury watch, as you have, and see it increase in value each year.

Or they could pay the same for an Apple gold watch and see it lose value each year as you say.

That's why I think many are expecting Apple to do something to 'Sweeten the Deal' so to speak.

Indeed, which is why I am curious to see what they do. At the very least, I hope they don't expect people to upgrade each year. I feel they pushed it with the iPad (which is why sales are probably decreasing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.