Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prefer Which Screen?

• iPhone 6 Plus

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
So obviously most of us have iPhone 6 or 6 plus.

I got the 6 plus, had it since launch. Still happy with it, still dont like the antenna bands, still worried it will bend because there have now been thousands of cases, so I keep it out of my pocket as much as I can, at work, driving, uni, even at cinema I keep it out of pocket.

However the screen is nice I suppose, 5.5 inch high res, I am led to believe apparently its the most accurate screen in terms of colour etc and video and picture and photo editors love it.

But in reality my iphone 6 plus screen next to these galaxy note 4 screens does not look as good, nowhere near. These Samsung screens seem to just pop and have that crazy contrast ratios, just looks amazing, especially still pictures, looks almost 3d in a sense.

iPhone 6 plus looks very standard now, does not pop.

So for me, definitely I would prefer if the iphone 6 had a Samsung type display.

Samsung_Galaxy_Note_4_MG_6879.jpg

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Accurate. I was recently watching a number of people take pictures with their Samsung phones and the image on screen looked nothing like the actual scene.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
i currently have both phones in my hand. and no doubt the note 4 screen is better but not by much. and as an added bonus the note 4 has a "screen mode" setting that lets you set how you like your screen to look. weather it be accurate or popping with the note 4 you have a choice with iphone your basically stuck with what you got.

also on a side note it's a 4k screen on the note.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
i currently have both phones in my hand. and no doubt the note 4 screen is better but not by much. and as an added bonus the note 4 has a "screen mode" setting that lets you set how you like your screen to look. weather it be accurate or popping with the note 4 you have a choice with iphone your basically stuck with what you got.

also on a side note it's a 4k screen on the note.

Not 4K. it's 2560 x 1440 right? That's called "Quad HD" but it's really "2K" so to speak.

4K is 3840 x 2160.
------

I'd prefer accurate.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Not 4K. it's 2560 x 1440 right? That's called "Quad HD" but it's really "2K" so to speak.

4K is 3840 x 2160.
------

I'd prefer accurate.

Is that your preference or is that because Apple chose that product?

And 1080p, 2k, quad hd, 4k - I have not seen any evidence to suggest that Apple's original statement saying the human eye cannot distinguish the differences of pixels after 350 ppi or so.

So my mind asks if what Apple said was true, then how exactly would we benefit from higher resolution (higher ppi)? Unless someone can prove that Apple was wrong and we can.

I mean for tvs, these resolutions make clear differences, and for 80 and above inch tv sizes, there is noticeable difference even with 8k, but phones?

My iphone 6 plus is 2202 x 1242 downsampled to 1080p. I have loaded lots of 1080p videos on my phone, while it does look good, I 'feel' as though Im not seeing the detail of the 1080p level as I am seeing on my 1080p tv.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I prefer accurate colors to the over saturated colors that are typical of Samsung phones. I look for the same qualities in a TV or computer display.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I don't really see the use. You see everything different than everyone else. Not better.

It's like iTunes' sound enhancing feature. It appears to sound good, but you lose any spatial information in the music, and even music that wasn't meant to sound like a space dome does.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
I want it to pop. The iPhone's screen isn't really that good.

They need to switch to an AMOLED or something similar. It's a very basic screen that looks like a regular computer screen when you turn it off.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Accurate colors are nice but would not make me pick the Samsung product over Apple. I have a friend with a S5 and we have taken images of the exact same thing under the same lighting and we both agree that neither phone is a giant leap above the other. We agree that each phone displays the image "differently" and not so sure one is right or wrong.

Both have great displays in my opinion, to me the Samsung has more saturated colors if you like that sort of thing.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Is that your preference or is that because Apple chose that product?.

It's my preference. Those "popping colors" can be nice to look at, but when watching videos or taking pictures I like to know that what I'm seeing is as close to the actual event as possible.

I don't know anything about the Note 4, but if you can change the screen mode between "natural" and "vibrant" I think that'd be very handy for when you may want bolder colors (like when playing games).

Also, I don't always agree with Apple. I can still see pixels on the iPads "retina display." I also saw them on my 4S, but I rarly see them on my 6 because I hold it sufficiently far away.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
What Type Of Screen Would You Prefer, Accurate or "Popping"?

Accurate. If I send a photo taken from my iPhone 6, I can rest assure that the photo will be viewed as is by the person I'm sending it to on a computer. With Samsung AMOLED displays, you never know what the photo is going to look like when the recipient receives it because you see it differently on the device.

Samsung AMOLED displays is over saturated and contrast is way too high which makes the images like cartoons.

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Apple definitely needs to move over to AMOLED. Not only does it look better but it also saves battery because it is self illuminating. The only bad thing is that it can burn images into your screen if you leave the screen on for long periods of time, but at least you save battery and don't have to worry about yellow tinted screens like on some iPhones.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I prefer the iPhone display by far. I don't have any experience with other Samsung phones, but the iPhone 5 screen is much nicer than the Galaxy S4 screen.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
I like how Samsung has settings to change the color mode.
I wish Apple would do that. I personally like the dynamic, slightly over saturated colors that pop.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i like the ultra popping colors.

more than anything id like to see apple start using current screen tech instead of continuing to put us through the lcd screen lottery on every device.

what defects would we be looking for here on macrumors if apple introduced products with AMOLED screens?

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Have you ever looked at postcards and then compared it to the actual scene? Postcards always have a massive amount of pop caused by jacking up the saturation. Why? Because they sell more postcards that way. The sky is never as bright blue as it is in postcards. But it makes the place being photographed look like paradise. Samsung is stooping to the same level to sell phones. As a photographer I definitely prefer Apple's method of keeping the color more realistic. Makes it easier to analyze my photos.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
where are these "thousands of cases" of phones bending? wheres your source?

I doubt he has a source but I think it's obvious that tens of thousands of 6+ the world over are going to bend. Most people don't baby their phones and almost everybody pockets them.
I've seen enough to consider the 'bendgate' real enough. I own a 6+ but I always baby my phones.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Have you ever looked at postcards and then compared it to the actual scene? Postcards always have a massive amount of pop caused by jacking up the saturation. Why? Because they sell more postcards that way. The sky is never as bright blue as it is in postcards. But it makes the place being photographed look like paradise. Samsung is stooping to the same level to sell phones. As a photographer I definitely prefer Apple's method of keeping the color more realistic. Makes it easier to analyze my photos.

Better buy a note 4 then, its colours are more accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.