Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeBookPro17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Virginia
EDIT: "Problem" has been solved. I mistook "Older Mac" as "Older OS X." My mid-2011 falls under "Older Mac" (anything before 2012). I'm sorry for my own lack of comprehension.

More than anything, I'm simply confused and would like to resolve this "problem" (before it potentially becomes an actual problem). I have an iMac running 10.10.1 and a MBP running 10.10.1. When I try to use Airdrop this is what the two look like.

iMac
5Iq9cp7.jpg

MBP
Y7FcTgh.jpg

1) I notice that the MBP has the extra options at the bottom. I do not know why the iMac does not. Does anyone know why this might be?

2) Even though they are both running 10.10.1 they don't see each other UNLESS on my MBP I click "Don't see who you're looking for?" and then search for an "Older Mac." At that point the iMac shows up. I can send a file (or a few), but then it will disappear form the list.

It appears as though Airdrop on my iMac is an older version, even though I'm running 10.10.1?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.