Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I purchased a Mophie Gold Battery Case for my iPhone 5S which is supposed to recharge my 5S at 100% once I deplete the battery charge from my 5S at 0%. The one I purchased sold for $99.99. The Mophie Case for $79.99 charges at 80%.

Months ago, I purchased one at Best Buy and it only charged at 60%, so I returned it. Because I really like the case, I repurchased the exact same case at Nordstrom a couple weeks ago. But it will only recharge my 5S at 62% when I deplete it to 0-1%. Obviously, there's consistency of only a 60% charge for both cases.

Do you think I'm losing 40% charge from these battery cases because it takes me 3-4 days to utilize the charge after I deplete the charge from the 5S? I'm not a huge data user, therefore I can go without charging my 5S for 3-4 days.

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The one that charges 100% will not charge 100% because the last 20% (when the phone is at 80 and needs to charge to 100%) uses more power to do so. This is why Mophie says in the instructions to only change to 80% and shut off the battery. This way you still have back up power from the battery in case you need it again.

So the battey case that says charge to 80% (the cheaper battery case) it will probably do 50-60% in the real world before it dies.

You also don't want to charge the phone when you kill it, turn the case on when your phone is at 20%-30%

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The best practice is to actually charge the case and phone 100% then leave the case on to run down then the phone will run down after. It offers the longest usage time that way.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
What will happen if I do turn the battery case on when my 5S reached 0-1%?

I don't know, I did what the instructions told me and that was at 20%. People have posted that the best battery was between 20% and 80% also.

So just don't let it run that low and charge it at 20%

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
The best practice is to actually charge the case and phone 100% then leave the case on to run down then the phone will run down after. It offers the longest usage time that way.

OK Thanks… I'm going to try this. Never though of it.

----------

I don't know, I did what the instructions told me and that was at 20%. People have posted that the best battery was between 20% and 80% also.

So just don't let it run that low and charge it at 20%

Alright… Thanks.

stcizzle

macrumors regular
May 20, 2011
NH, USA
This is why I stopped using all battery cases. The battery lives of my phones batteries ALL decreased and didn't display accurate %s after long term use of the Mophies. And this was on the 4S, 5 & 5S so I know it wasn't an isolated problem. Isn't worth it ink unless you absolutely need it. My phones started dying at like 10% battery life all the time and when I would charge them they would jump up quicker than normal then drain way faster. Just my 2 cents.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Why don't you do what the website recommends? Charge the phone from 20% to about 60%. It takes the least amount of power to do that.

I ended up returning the battery case. I didn't know about what some have posted about the case. I read the box and it claimed, 100% charge, so naturally I thought, if I depleted my 5S down to 0-1%, the Mophie case would then charge it back to 100% - not so. I'll go caseless with it. I already have my 6+ so I'm debating if I should sell the 5S. Thanks.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I ended up returning the battery case. I didn't know about what some have posted about the case. I read the box and it claimed, 100% charge, so naturally I thought, if I depleted my 5S down to 0-1%, the Mophie case would then charge it back to 100% - not so. I'll go caseless with it. I already have my 6+ so I'm debating if I should sell the 5S. Thanks.

Ah thanks. I have the mophie air as well as an external battery as I can be without access to a wall charger for a day and using the phone all day with a lousy signal. The mophie has been used more than once to give my battery a little boost.

powerboy123

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2015
I purchased a Mophie Gold Battery Case for my iPhone 5S which is supposed to recharge my 5S at 100% once I deplete the battery charge from my 5S at 0%. The one I purchased sold for $99.99. The Mophie Case for $79.99 charges at 80%.

Months ago, I purchased one at Best Buy and it only charged at 60%, so I returned it. Because I really like the case, I repurchased the exact same case at Nordstrom a couple weeks ago. But it will only recharge my 5S at 62% when I deplete it to 0-1%. Obviously, there's consistency of only a 60% charge for both cases.

Do you think I'm losing 40% charge from these battery cases because it takes me 3-4 days to utilize the charge after I deplete the charge from the 5S? I'm not a huge data user, therefore I can go without charging my 5S for 3-4 days.

UM.. its JUNK! I have a spacepack that now just DRAIIINNNNSSSSSS the battery on my iPhone.. SHOULDN"T it be the OTHER WAY AROUND??????????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.