Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a new "Free on iTunes" section in the iTunes Store, featuring free downloads of songs and full length TV episodes. The section replaces Apple's "iTunes Single of the Week", which previously offered free songs from popular and indie music artists.

freeonitunes-800x366.jpg
Currently, Apple is offering full-length TV episodes from shows including Fox's Backstrom, Syfy's 12 Monkey's, Disney Channel's KC Undercover, and MTV's Eye Candy. On the music side, Apple is offering downloads from artists such as Purity Ring, Jauz, Asking Alexandria, and Guster.

Apple's "Free on iTunes" section is live now, and it is likely that the company will offer new content every week as it has done with the iTunes Single of the Week and its App of the Week section.

Update: The new section appears to be U.S.-only for the time being.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Free on iTunes' Section With Free TV and Music Downloads

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
What about all the people who complained nonstop about the free days of christmas, u2 and free singles. They take them away and you still complain about how could Apple take this way. Now, They add a different free service and I am sure complaints will follow. I am guessing if they gave everyone a free Mac Mini you (society) would complain it is not a iMac.....

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The amount of great artists and dope music I've come across over the years with the Free Singles was an important pastime for me as a youngster from the onset of the iTunes store up through the first few years of college (until I started working at the college radio station and had my pickings of virtually anything and everything, as well as the explosion of the music blog scene). I'll always put the Free Single section as an important portion of my music discovery that led me to a career in music. I'm very glad Apple is continuing this. Even if they don't know it, that little section had an impact on this little musician...

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Don't really have time to listen through the whole songs yet since I'm at work, but judging from the previews there are some good tunes in there. :)

jlucas

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Great....another American article author who took the ,,,"we are the world" song a little too literally. ...sheesh. Please add some kind of comment early in the article that it's US only.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Great News.

This is a chance to get a few more songs than just the 2...not sure if this will be updated weekly, or monthly though but nice to get a mix of tunes rather than just one songs in a genre you may not prefer.

Kudos

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Omg, omg!!!

The Tobias Jesso, Jr. Song, How Could you Babe, is not available in US store. How dare you Apple! How dare you MacRumors! You are all horrible people for making me read this article and making me click over to iTunes only to discover this lack of availability. It's just like you to act like your country is the only country in the world and fail to realize there are 330 million Americans who buy music too!

That's how I'm supposed to respond when something isn't available in my country's iTunes store correct? :rolleyes:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Really happy when I found out about this. I was upset when I realized the Single of the Week songs were done away with, but this seems to be a good replacement. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.