Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I tried yesterday installing Win 10.
but from the ISO it starts downloading updates starts installing, then reports a general error.
then afterwards I tried the "installer" it took forever, and at 99% done another error.

I suspect it might be bacuse of Bootcamp/EFI.

My setup is a 15" rMBP, Windows 8 on a partition created using Bootcamp.

Anyone here got experience or know if this could be the issue ?
(Windows 8 being fully updated as well)

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Are you upgrading an existing Windows or trying to do a clean install? I did a clean install of TP in October and upgraded in in December to 9879 and then again today to build 9926. The upgrades worked fine but are terribly slow with no real indication of how far it has progressed (I have an old Core2Duo MacBook Pro which is pretty slow but this seems a common complaint).

I am not booting with EFI though - I'm using the hybrid MBR option that bootcamp does by default and using rEFInd as a bootloader. As far as I can see from threads here sound doesn't work with EFI so I haven't tried installing that way. You could consider downloading the ISO if you are having issues with the upgrade - some people on tenforums.com have had to do that but for me it worked. Eventually.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I tried yesterday installing Win 10.
but from the ISO it starts downloading updates starts installing, then reports a general error.
then afterwards I tried the "installer" it took forever, and at 99% done another error.

I suspect it might be bacuse of Bootcamp/EFI.

My setup is a 15" rMBP, Windows 8 on a partition created using Bootcamp.

Anyone here got experience or know if this could be the issue ?
(Windows 8 being fully updated as well)

I have 8.1 on an external SSD , not using bootcamp assistant, but bootcamp drivers.. Also unable to run the upgrade package , or the full ISO , on a 2014 Mac mini.. it keeps reverting due to an error. the upgrade options says the system does not meet requirements.. (not sure if this is a driver/language pack issue)

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
ok I manged to install it now.
so updating from Windows didn't work.
updating from ISO didn't work at first, but then I tried on a bigger USB thumb drive (from a 6 GB to a 32GB) then it installed, perhaps it needed space for updates ?

but anyway, it takes a long time and prepare you for "getting things in place" "almost there" "putting things into their place" "almost ready 2%" and so on, never seen such a non-technical installation messages as now.

I also recommend put you startup disk to "Windows" so that when it reboots it will automatically continue. I had to reboot from OS X several times as I was walking around doing something else.
enjoy

vickysud

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
ok I manged to install it now.
so updating from Windows didn't work.
updating from ISO didn't work at first, but then I tried on a bigger USB thumb drive (from a 6 GB to a 32GB) then it installed, perhaps it needed space for updates ?

but anyway, it takes a long time and prepare you for "getting things in place" "almost there" "putting things into their place" "almost ready 2%" and so on, never seen such a non-technical installation messages as now.

I also recommend put you startup disk to "Windows" so that when it reboots it will automatically continue. I had to reboot from OS X several times as I was walking around doing something else.
enjoy

Can you post the instructions how you managed to instal it. Im trying to instal since few days facing couple of issues like GPT partition and at the end of the instal gives me an error " Windows Cannot configure the boot ".

Installing through USB 16 gb / gives me an error if i instal through Bootcamp " No boot disk" / manually instal through "option"

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I didn't do much different, but as I checked my USB key I could see it had downloaded and stored something on it (there was a folder with 0 kb data in it)

It was a exFat USB with the ISO on (just the ISO, not restored or whatever).
then inside windows (normal bootcamp) I opened the USB and clicked the setup...just worked.
perhaps try a bigger USB ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.