Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Visionblue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I have a 2010 macbook with dual hard drives; an SSD with my OS and apps installed and its original HDD for all of my music, movies and pictures. A few moments ago I got an alert that my disk wasn't ejected properly. Nothing was plugged into the computer and then I realized my HDD was no longer showing up in finder, disk utility, etc. Unfortunately I'm a stickler for setting myself up for failure as my first instinct was to remove the drive and check for lose connections or put in an external enclosure and attempt to access it that way but my tools aren't at my house and I won't have access to them until tomorrow. I restarted twice and reset smc but nothing changed. I'm so worried that the drive has failed. Any ideas?? I'm desperate.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Is the disk visible in Disk Utility? You could try repairing or mounting from there and see what happens. I've seen both OS X 10.9 and 10.10 occasionally have weird drive issues like that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I had this happen once; the drive just spontaneously failed. It's not unheard of, and these symptoms seem like they match.

I had the drive replaced under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.