Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vagonator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
hi guys! I would ask for advice, I changed 4 ipad air 2 due to various problems (dead pixels, dust under the screen ... ect) this is the fifth and seemed to have the perfect screen until I saw a scratch on the screen, it looks like is below the screen, almost invisible but still is there,what you say?keep it?or continue with the exhanges?sorry for my english...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That's strictly up to you. If you don't have high levels of OCD and can live with it then keep it. If not it's your time and money if you decide to continue to play the exchange game.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I'd be more willing to keep one with a speck of dust than one with a scratch. But frankly, for €550+ I expect a device that is flawless, so I probably wouldn't settle. I'd also only exchange it once and then ask my money back. I just wouldn't have the patience to deal with this more than one time. (Luckily, my first and only Air 2 turned out to be perfectly fine.)

harrypham

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
SA, Texas
hi guys! I would ask for advice, I changed 4 ipad air 2 due to various problems (dead pixels, dust under the screen ... ect) this is the fifth and seemed to have the perfect screen until I saw a scratch on the screen, it looks like is below the screen, almost invisible but still is there,what you say?keep it?or continue with the exhanges?sorry for my english...

I did about 12 times, and now I have settled with my current iPad Air 2 for almost 4 weeks. I added Applecare Plus, too.

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
I tried it 6 times and all iPads had flaws (one of them also had a scratch on the screen). https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1831979/

I would not accept an iPad with a scratch and would try to exchange it. Another option is to send it back and to wait a few months. Hopefully the quality control and production quality will improve and you will get a good product. That's what I am doing at the moment: waiting...

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I have played the exchange game as well from November to Now I have had - dust / dead pixel and marks under the screen.

I have given up as the last one has a very very small spec of dust in the screen and one very small one in the camera. No pictures are showing any kind of marks so I am going to stick with it.

I have a iphone 6 plus and that is what I mostly use for pictures.

It really sucks that apple can't get the quality control right.

I have also noticed that most people do not even notice the dust etc...

Vagonator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
I have played the exchange game as well from November to Now I have had - dust / dead pixel and marks under the screen.

I have given up as the last one has a very very small spec of dust in the screen and one very small one in the camera. No pictures are showing any kind of marks so I am going to stick with it.

I have a iphone 6 plus and that is what I mostly use for pictures.

It really sucks that apple can't get the quality control right.

I have also noticed that most people do not even notice the dust etc...

Thanks for your advice, I decided to play the lottery and continue the search for the perfect ipad, the problem is that my every change took me 15 days to arrive

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Have you received a replacement ipad air 2 that was made well after the release date or even in 2015?

Vagonator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
ipad air 2 refurbished

Hi guys! I have a question,are the ipad airs 2 that we exhange for have an issue are refurbished or new? sorry for my english...

Last edited:

had0ukenn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
I'm kind of surprised you even had to make that many exchanges. At first, it seemed like you were OCD about things and kept changing them, but some other users are getting their iPad's exchanged as well. Whats the deal with that?

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I have had 1power book, 1 macbook pro, 1 mac bookpro retina, 2 - 5K iMacs ( yes i purchased 2 one for home and one for the office ) which are perfect out of the box but I have never had a iphone or an iPad perfect out of the box... never... call it bad luck or what ever but the qc is for sure lower due to the items being more mass produced than iMac and macs.

I wish apple had pay 10% more for a perfect device out of the box - I would for sure pay extra for that.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Errrrrrrrrrrrr............

I did not think it was possible to get dust under the screen on an iPad Air 2.

The screen tech was supposed to make this impossible was it not?

No ?

ipaddaro

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014

No ?

it is possible... i have a grain of dust under my screen..
anyway, it's not so visible, so i hold it for the moment...

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
i got lucky, im on my 9th iphone 6. but i stopped by bestbuy and saw the ipad air 2 for $50 off and i had $50 in rewards and a 10%. So i got myself a 64gb. out of the box perfect, no scratches or marks anywhere, slapped a circular protector over the apple, slapped on a zagg glass, and threw it in a case. very surprised.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

No ?

Sure it's possible, at the time the components are laminated together. Shouldn't be possibly to get more dust after that, but nothing stops poor QC at assembly time.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sure it's possible, at the time the components are laminated together. Shouldn't be possibly to get more dust after that, but nothing stops poor QC at assembly time.

Indeed, and I can understand final assembly where it all comes together is a place that's prone to dust etc, but I thought something like the screen lamination would all be taking place by machines in a totally dust free ultra clean environment.

That's what I thought anyway, though of course I am just guessing never having seen the place.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Indeed, and I can understand final assembly where it all comes together is a place that's prone to dust etc, but I thought something like the screen lamination would all be taking place by machines in a totally dust free ultra clean environment.

That's what I thought anyway, though of course I am just guessing never having seen the place.

One might hope so.. but clearly there's been some compromise or slip in standards for quantity of production from all the evidence..

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Hmm. I'm in the same boat. But my iPad is nearly flawless except for a darkish patch that is only noticeable if you scroll a light background and a slight yellow tint/gradient.

Really undecided at this point :/

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
wow since I kept my air and didn't upgrade I have not really visited the iPad forums in a while. Didn't know the air 2 had so many imperfections

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
wow since I kept my air and didn't upgrade I have not really visited the iPad forums in a while. Didn't know the air 2 had so many imperfections

I have the Air 2 and could not be happier with my iPad. I had the 64GB model which had a spec of dust under the screen. I was going to hold onto it until I saw Best Buy had $100 off the 128GB Air 2 making it the same price as my 64GB. The 128GB is perfect. In fact, out of all the Apple devices I have owned, I'd venture to say the iPad line up as a whole is the most reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.