Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
Hi Guys, New to the forums so forgive me for any mistakes I'm bound to make. :)

I have a 2006 Mac Pro (Dual - Dual Core 2.66 Xeon 5150's) which I recently upgraded to Dual - Quad core E5345's. This all went well save for the About this Mac dialogue box not properly recognising my new CPU's. I downloaded MacEFIRom's Mac pro 2,1 Firmware flasher to upgrade the firmware of my 1,1 Mac Pro. However the installation hung and after an hour I was forced to forcefully reboot (Knowing full well of what might happen).

Unfortunately as a result my Mac is dead, No chime, No display and both the CPU A and B fail Diagnostic lights are lit. The machine just shows a solid white power light with the fans running. I tried swapping the original CPU's back in but I get the same thing.

I assume my Firmware/Bootrom is corrupt and was wondering if anyone knew the EFI chip's location on the logicboard so I can attempt to flash it.

As I understand I'll need a Bus Pirate or BlackCat to do this, and if possible a guide to do so as I have a fairly limited knowledge of this type of thing. I have a download of my Mac's EFI Firmware Volume (.fd File) and any help I got get to flash this back into my Mac Pro would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TheMacCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
I have downloaded and burnt the Firmware Restoration CD V1.4 for my machine, but can not get the DVD drive to open as described in Apples guide. I hold the power button till I get 3 quick flashes, 3 long Flashes and another 3 quick flashes; but the drive doesn't open for the CD. Am I doing something wrong?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
holding mouse button down also supposed to do this, but if a function of EFI won't work.

Try pulling the Optical drive sled, the DVD drives are normal ones with button missing in most cases. Get something pointy and hit the button while power on

TheMacCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks for the reply, I pushed the button through the front mesh with a paper-clip and inserted the DVD. After the front power LED flashes in the Firmware update sequence the disk spins up but I don't get the loud beep at signifies that the firmware is being rewritten. I've tried two disks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Are you sure you're using the correct disc for your machine? There are multiple versions and you must be using the correct one for your model.

TheMacCollector

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
The disk is labelled "FirmwareRestorationCD1.4.DMG"

On it are a bunch of .fd files, one of which being MP11_005C_04b.fd.
I assume this is the one for my mac pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.