Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
My 2009 Mac Pro's built-in Bluetooth is almost unusable with my Magic Mouse. I'm looking at Bluetooth USB adapters, specifically Kensington's.

Any suggestions?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I ordered the GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter(new) from a seller on eBay with free shipping. The Amazon shipping was about the same cost as the dongle. I’ll download BT Explorer at the Apple App Store.

Thank you both for the help.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Well, I registered as a hardware developer and DL the newest ver. of BT Explorer.

I did invent my adjustable mouse stand using a 3M Swivel Monitor Arm and reengineered a imported dinning room table from Vietnam for my DAW stand. :D

RoboMouseStand_zps93d5bb4c.jpg

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I plugged in the GMYLE USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter into a front USB port on my Mac Pro and had success activating it with Bluetooth Explorer after I moved BT Explorer into the Applications folder. I found some help with that here.

http://www.geekguides.co.uk/414/how-to-select-a-bluetooth-adapter-in-os-x/

Well, it was worse than using the Apple Bluetooth so I plugged the GMYLE BT adapter into a powered USB 3.0 hub that is in the middle of my DAW desk and it works great now.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Using the GMYLE BT adapter I booted my Mac Pro into Windows 7 via Bootcamp and couldn't get Bluetooth going. I booted back into Yosemite and Bluetooth was "Not Available". After resetting the SMC I got Bluetooth to show up again in Yosemite.

I decided to move my Mac Pro to the other side of my desk, almost directly underneath my Magic Mouse and use Apple's Bluetooth. This is working for OSX and Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.