Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pacific343

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
I'm running OSX 10.7.5 on a macbook air with 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and 4 GB 1333 MGz DDR3. It's kind of an early version of the air. It's started to slow some, I've had problems with the fan running constantly and overheating but no crashes. I checked the CPU monitor and managed to get the fan to mellow by shutting some background applications.

I'd like this computer to last so I'm cleaning things up and updating some things. Thinking of upgrading my OSX so I can install more recent antivirus software and generally improve performance. But I don't know if I have the computing power or if upgrades above my current OSX are less efficient.

What would you recommend for OSX updates? Or should I stick with 10.7.5 ? I would like any relevant upgrades to be free.

Thanks!

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Any Macbook Air from Late 2008 onwards can upgrade straight to OS X Yosemite. I would recommend updating, better software compatibility and most likely better hardware optimisation.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I doubt you'll take much of a performance hit coming from Lion, and recent updates to Yosemite have fixed many of the major bugs present at launch. Feel free to upgrade if you'd like, and yes it is free.

----------

Also, if your computer is acting sluggish a clean install might help to fix that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.