Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today has mysteriously added back a 2012 model Mac mini to the Apple Online Store for $699. The over two-year-old machine still has the same hardware specifications as it did in 2012, including a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4GB of RAM and Intel HD Graphics 4000. The listing also shows that the computer ships with OS X Mavericks installed.

2012-Mac-Mini-Apple-Online-Store.png
It is unknown if the outdated Mac mini has mistakenly resurfaced on the Apple Online Store, or if Apple intentionally reintroduced the model on its website. One plausible reason that Apple may be making this older Mac mini available for purchase again is to provide customers with a quad-core option, as the existing 2014 models are each powered by dual-core Intel Core i5 processors.

The entry-level Mac is listed as out of stock in the United States, and MacRumors could not find the model listed for sale elsewhere after spot checks of the Apple Online Store in Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Japan and several other countries. Apple still offers a refurbished version of the same 2012 Mac mini for $589 on its website, although that model is also currently out of stock.

Update 11:30 PM PT: The 2012 quad-core Mac mini appears to have disappeared from the Apple Online Store for the time being. It is unclear if it will officially return or if its appearance was a bug.

Article Link: Quad-Core 2012 Mac Mini Mysteriously Reappears on Apple's U.S. Online Store [Updated]

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
OOS.

I was luckily enough to grab this model refurb a few days after the new 2014 models came out. Man am I happy with this machine. Quad cores with hyperthreading is a beast when you run vmware and docker all day.
I don't plan on giving this thing up for a long time.

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
wow. i JUST bought this same model from the refurb store for a DEAL!
they were popping in and out of refurb stock all evening!

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Well im glad i too was able to snag a 2.3 quad a few days after the 2014s were announced. :D

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Might be that Intel promised a solution that never materialized... So they are going with the older model for the moment.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Selling with Mavericks? Obviously an error that will disapper soon.

______
It's a shame really, the 2014 Minis have much better graphics. Too bad Apple couldn't keep a high end quad core model.

Last edited:

AndyJapan

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Does this mean that Apple was reading the rants posted in this forum? :cool:
If so, I still have some hope that we might see a Mac Mini with quad core Broadwell CPU and user-upgradeable RAM or RAM upgrade options at reasonable prices. Wishful thinking... :p

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Does this mean that Apple was reading the rants posted in this forum? :cool:
If so, I still have some hope that we might see a Mac Mini with quad core Broadwell CPU and user-upgradeable RAM or RAM upgrade options at reasonable prices. Wishful thinking... :p

I think this quad-core 2012 being posted means we might have to wait until skylake - which likely will have a redesigned mac mini but thats looking like 2016.

----------

wow. i JUST bought this same model from the refurb store for a DEAL!
they were popping in and out of refurb stock all evening!

How much?

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Wowsa! I sure did not see this coming! The easiest way for them to get a quad core up for sale. Maybe as a placeholder till Skylake! Nice move Apple!

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
I don't think it's "mysterious" that Apple added it back. It's faster and more powerful. Not to mention that they're making a profit off of it.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Is this because the new Mac Mini's perform so poorly they actually are slower than the generation prior to them?

Well, Apple said, lets roll out some even more cost effective units with high margin?

Nuts.
Apple needs to offer better CPU and graphics performance. This utilitarian bunk designs are as if the Macintosh line of computers is a hobby. Terrible

They need to offer faster product updates and to fix this crap.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Looks like it is out of stock already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 12.57.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 12.57.34 AM.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 350

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Why not just put a 4770HQ in there? Why are they holding on to Ivy Bridge?

Intel's CPU design required them to choose between all dual-core/all quad-core. Apple opted with dual-core for Haswell.

Intel Skylake will fix this requirment between quad/dual costume socket design.

So I assume this quad-core mac mini will be in the lineup until 2016 :eek:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Maybe a lot of shipments were canceled from Amazon and they sat on the docks for months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.