Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Guys i just obtained this 21.5" iMac and i have been trying to rid the stains with a damp cloth, even tried some of the solution wihich is used to clean the LCD... But its stubborn.... Looks like water based paint but its not i guess... Thought of using thinner but wasnt sure.... Its like ingrown, cant even scratch it off ! Any bright ideas ?

Wth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Wow. Looks like whatever splashed onto it may have eaten away at the aluminum coating. If so you'll never be able to get those spots out.

I'm no expert but this is definitely a possibility.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Wow. Looks like whatever splashed onto it may have eaten away at the aluminum coating. If so you'll never be able to get those spots out.

I'm no expert but this is definitely a possibility.

Hi, that was what i was afraid of, that it coating was eaten... Suprisingly, whatever spalshed on it, did not eat up the lcd glass coating....its not visible on the lcd until a very close look is given....i guess the owner quickly wiped of the glass as soon as it was splashed....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any ideas of what it could be?

I never saw anything like that.

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
Guys i just obtained this Mac and i have been trying to rid the stains with a damp cloth, even tried some of the solution wihich is used to clean the LCD... But its stubborn.... Looks like water based paint but its not i guess... Thought of using thinner but wasnt sure.... Its like ingrown, cant even scratch it off ! Any bright ideas ?

Wth

Ouch.

Let us know if you need anything!

Weston
Slickwraps

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Rubbing alcohol is my favorite cleaning agent. If that won't remove it, then it's not coming off.

True..... I am just too cautious on as to use even alcohol....fearing that it might create a much worse situation..... A bottle of scotch is harmless right !!

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
True..... I am just too cautious on as to use even alcohol....fearing that it might create a much worse situation..... A bottle of scotch is harmless right !!

I've been using rubbing alcohol on my computers and keyboards and mice etc... for years with no harm. The only place where I wouldn't use it would be on an iPad/iPhone screen where it could possibly affect the oleophobic coating.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Rubbing alcohol is my favorite cleaning agent. If that won't remove it, then it's not coming off.

That looks like when I snort/coughed when drinking coffee. I use disposable alcohol infused microfiber wipes on my iMac. It works well on organics that have dried on a surface.

Edit: I just re-read the OP and he has that it looks "ingrown", that does sound like the metal has been eaten away.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I had very similar looking marks on mine. Couldn't scratch or rub them off. But, a little isopropyl and a microfiber cloth worked fine

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I had very similar looking marks on mine. Couldn't scratch or rub them off. But, a little isopropyl and a microfiber cloth worked fine

Hey...that sounds promising.... Isoprop huh ! Will see if i can get some of it...thx

----------

I've been using rubbing alcohol on my computers and keyboards and mice etc... for years with no harm. The only place where I wouldn't use it would be on an iPad/iPhone screen where it could possibly affect the oleophobic coating.

Hi, could you name the type of alcohol which you been sucessfully using on your computers....

When u say computers, you do mean an aluminium casing right ...:)

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
That looks like when I snort/coughed when drinking coffee. I use disposable alcohol infused microfiber wipes on my iMac. It works well on organics that have dried on a surface.

Edit: I just re-read the OP and he has that it looks "ingrown", that does sound like the metal has been eaten away.

I came to that conclusion since i could not even scrap it off... But i might be mistaken .... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.