Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I will be moving from a shared cubicle to my own office next week. I am looking for some ideas on how to maximize both the look and functionality of it. Any inspiration would be great.

Thanks!

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Nothing fancy... I like to keep my car and apartment and gaming setups nice and clean. I keep my bag incredibly organized. I always know what is in my wallet. But for some reason, I work best in clutter :-/

16214460887_142ac66c69_b.jpg

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Nothing fancy... I like to keep my car and apartment and gaming setups nice and clean. I keep my bag incredibly organized. I always know what is in my wallet. But for some reason, I work best in clutter :-/

That is about the size of my desk now. I am looking forward to my move next week.

Thanks for the post!

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
What do you do? :)

I run the helpdesk in the IT deparment for a local company. But I don't just fix the PC's/printers. I do a lot of database management, building queries via SQL for the folks in the building, fixing broken programs (in RPG) and I maintaining a lot of stuff on our website. :D

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Ugly but intense:
picture.php

HP Workstation connected to left-most monitor, Northgate keyboard (25 years old) and Dell mouse. Hidden Mac mini connected to center and right monitor and Apple keyboard and "mighty" mouse. Rightmost display is digital picture frame.

Only a third of my office space shows in picture. The remainder is for hardware product development.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Plenty of offices to see here, http://soulspacer.tumblr.com

Main things to consider:

* Place display and keyboard in a comfortable position.
* Add small plants.
* Organize your desk as a workflow, i.e. physically separate working files from archive and pending files. Plan your work around it, i.e. start from left (working files) to right (completed files).
* Cables can be hidden with out spending too much time tiding them up.
* Keep knick knacks or toys to a minimum. Easier to clean.
* Add a lamp for reading.

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ugly but intense:
HP Workstation connected to left-most monitor, Northgate keyboard (25 years old) and Dell mouse. Hidden Mac mini connected to center and right monitor and Apple keyboard and "mighty" mouse. Rightmost display is digital picture frame.

Only a third of my office space shows in picture. The remainder is for hardware product development.

Loving the OmniKey!

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Made a few upgrades this weekend.

Looks great. Since there's a whiteboard in your office, and assuming you're a professor or student, the way you set up the two monitors is good for mirroring to show your work with your visitors while keeping your desk layout and keep an eye-to-eye conversation. A monitor placed between the whiteboard and your desk is also convenient for working on the whiteboard with one of the displays facing the board whenever needed.

You could still use efficiently the wall shown in the photo where there's a phone --since we can't see if your two desks have drawers. That wall could be used for storing reference material like books or to place your portraits and have larger work area horizontally. A simple shelf mounted on the wall or something like in this image could be useful to you.

organizing-home-office-shelf.jpg

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Looks great. Since there's a whiteboard in your office, and assuming you're a professor or student, the way you set up the two monitors is good for mirroring to show your work with your visitors while keeping your desk layout and keep an eye-to-eye conversation. A monitor placed between the whiteboard and your desk is also convenient for working on the whiteboard with one of the displays facing the board whenever needed.

You could still use efficiently the wall shown in the photo where there's a phone --since we can't see if your two desks have drawers. That wall could be used for storing reference material like books or to place your portraits and have larger work area horizontally. A simple shelf mounted on the wall or something like in this image could be useful to you.

I appreciate the advice. However, I work in mortgage. I rarely have anyone else in my office. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.