Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CryptoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
I bought a new mac mini (late 2014) with SSD option. In fact i just knew about it's performance (like speed). Never thought about it's lifespan. Now i searched some and as i see SSD lifespan is mush lower than HDD. Of course i understand that it's about usage but 2 year usage is usually enough to kill it as i see in forums.

Otherwise i saw a new Samsung SSD disk that claims 10 year lifespan.

So, what about SSD that is used in Mac Mini 2014? Has it a new technoplogy like long life Samsung SSD or it's more like the others that has 1-2 year life time? Any idea or info?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have an old 80GB Intel SSD that I installed in a 2009 mini when it was new.
Now 6 years later and it is still working as well as it did when it was new.
Try not to overthink these things, your SSD will more then likely outlast your association with the system it is installed in.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
The Samsung 840 EVO might actually clock in on lower life span than that considering that their new firmware didn't really help.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
They Shoot Horses Don't They?

... 2 year usage is usually enough to kill it as i see in forums.

I think that two year figure is stale information. The SSDs are getting more reliable as time passes. As you noticed, manufacturers are standing behind products for much more than two years. Here is a table that shows some common SSD warranty terms.

Attachments

• SSD Warranty Table.png
    SSD Warranty Table.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 273

CryptoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
I guess i read old entries in forums. Due to your answers it's not a big problem. I felt better.

What about power loss situation? I read it's sensitive to unexpected power loss.

Dsnoops

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
The Tech Report did an endurance test on six SSD's. Most reached one
Petabyte of writes with two of them reaching 2 Petabytes and still going. Some remained completely free of uncorrectable errors, while others had around 3% error rate after 1.5 Petabytes of writes. Even at this level there testing show
performance only slowing slightly.

Tech Reports conclusion: Most consumers shouldn't worry about exceeding the
endurance of modern SSDs.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Failure rate depends on data written. It's impossible to put a timeframe on it without knowing how much data you're writing.

Samsung 850 PROs come with a 10 year warranty now, surely that outlasts the life of the machine.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
My SSD is showing 88% life left after 2yrs of use. That would extrapolate to 16yrs - I would never expect an HDD to last anything like that long.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
A modern SSD should easily last for more than 10 years for a normal user. Some better SSD should be OK for 25 years or more.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
As said, it depends on how much you write to it.
The manufacturer should have a data sheet that lists the
PBW and DWPD - Peta Bytes Written & Drive Writes per Day (over the warranty period)

E.g., for Intel Enterprise SSDs:
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/ssd-storage-enterprise-intel-pcie,1-1980.html

It's an interesting subject.
Intels Enterprise SSD (DC37x0) will probably outlive not only your Mac, but even yourself for any non-crazy usage-pattern - at least as far as the flash-cells on the SSD are concerned...

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I bought a new mac mini (late 2014) with SSD option. In fact i just knew about it's performance (like speed). Never thought about it's lifespan. Now i searched some and as i see SSD lifespan is mush lower than HDD. Of course i understand that it's about usage but 2 year usage is usually enough to kill it as i see in forums.

So, what about SSD that is used in Mac Mini 2014? Has it a new technoplogy like long life Samsung SSD or it's more like the others that has 1-2 year life time? Any idea or info?

MLC drives like the Samsung 840 Pro (and the PCIe ones used by Apple) can last really long.

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

This 840 Pro has already had two petabytes of writes onto it and is still running fine.

It'd take you a really long time, well beyond the lifespan of your Mac, to write 2 petabytes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.