Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I found this article earlier today also, and I was really excited. I hope they made improvements from the last beta, it was really slow..

Xernicus

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
This is incredibly awesome! It will certainly be a rock and a hard place for Spotify, if they continue with their plans to depreciate their app platform.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
This is incredibly awesome! It will certainly be a rock and a hard place for Spotify, if they continue with their plans to depreciate their app platform.

How do you work that one out? The number of Mac users who base their buying decisions on PPC support is negligible and Spotify is in the media streaming business compared with Google, which deals primarily in advertising and data harvesting.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
How do you work that one out? The number of Mac users who base their buying decisions on PPC support is negligible and Spotify is in the media streaming business compared with Google, which deals primarily in advertising and data harvesting.

Agreed.

As much as I love my PPC machines, I have non-PPC systems that are fully supported. The number of people who are *ONLY* on PPC systems, with no alternative (like a smartphone) is likely so low as to be completely pointless to any business other than a dedicated "targeting PPC owners" business.

I would wager that "PPC system only" users are probably about the same percent as Windows 2000 or Windows 98 users. Nobody is targeting them any longer. (Yes, PPC was supported much more recently than W2k or W98, but Mac users tend to upgrade quicker than Windows.)

Xernicus

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
Looks like there's a minor misunderstanding. :)

I'm not referring to PPC users of Spotify, I'm talking about Spotify's presence and market share in online streaming media.

I have my personal reasons for disliking Spotify, and I'm not going to make that a part of my argument (as my friend says, opinions are like a**h**** - we all have them, and they all stink).

In case you have not heard about this already, roughly two months ago, Spotify changed it's API and locked down several features that were present in the older model. https://gigaom.com/2014/11/03/spotify-kills-its-app-platform-three-years-after-its-launch/

In simple terms, this is how I see the situation:

-Spotify is trying to lock down and take advantage of it's market monopoly in order to make money and shut out other services.

-Google is taking advantage of it's monopoly and making the web a more open and accessible place for all- regardless of the platform, by moving to the open HTML5 standard.

I'm not saying that Google is always making the best decisions- because I have my own issues with Google as well- but at least this is a step in the right direction.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Looks like there's a minor misunderstanding. :)

I'm not referring to PPC users of Spotify, I'm talking about Spotify's presence and market share in online streaming media.

I have my personal reasons for disliking Spotify, and I'm not going to make that a part of my argument (as my friend says, opinions are like a**h**** - we all have them, and they all stink).

In case you have not heard about this already, roughly two months ago, Spotify changed it's API and locked down several features that were present in the older model. https://gigaom.com/2014/11/03/spotify-kills-its-app-platform-three-years-after-its-launch/

In simple terms, this is how I see the situation:

-Spotify is trying to lock down and take advantage of it's market monopoly in order to make money and shut out other services.

-Google is taking advantage of it's monopoly and making the web a more open and accessible place for all- regardless of the platform, by moving to the open HTML5 standard.

I'm not saying that Google is always making the best decisions- because I have my own issues with Google as well- but at least this is a step in the right direction.

This may not be entirely true; there is a way to get Skype 2.0 to run even though it isn't supposed to connect, maybe someone will figure out a way to do this with spotify and even dropbox possibly

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So out of curiosity, I tried to watch a YouTube video on my 800 MHz iMac G4.

Yeah, "seconds per frame" was a very real term. Bordering on double-digits.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Spotify still works fine for me in Tiger... is it set to be discontinued?

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Tried some video's on my G5 dual 2.0 7,3 that I just fixed up. Using TFF 31.4, playback was a little rough with 360p as full screen. Once buffering was done, it played better. Frame rate was'nt great, but it was smooth enough to watch at 1920x1200 full screen on the 23" cinema ADC screen. I'm guessing my G5 dual 2.7 or G5 Quad will play these easily.

So, its slower than YouView, but it does work.

Last edited:

Xernicus

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
Spotify still works fine for me in Tiger... is it set to be discontinued?

Personally, I run Leopard on all of my PPC macs, so I would not know. However, I do not see Tiger on the list of 'supported' operating systems on Spotify's FAQ page.
https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-devices-does-Spotify-support

Upon, starting up Spotify 0.6.6.10 on Leopard, I get this message "In a few months, Spotify updates will not be available for your platform", for which I have no idea what that means. I presume it has to do with Spotify's new Web API, not that they will be dropping PPC support, at least at this moment.

Attachments

• Spotify.jpg
    Spotify.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 112

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Upon, starting up Spotify 0.6.6.10 on Leopard, I get this message "In a few months, Spotify updates will not be available for your platform"

Oh yeah, they've been showing that for years now. I've just come to ignore it. :D

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Agreed.

As much as I love my PPC machines, I have non-PPC systems that are fully supported. The number of people who are *ONLY* on PPC systems, with no alternative (like a smartphone) is likely so low as to be completely pointless to any business other than a dedicated "targeting PPC owners" business.

I would wager that "PPC system only" users are probably about the same percent as Windows 2000 or Windows 98 users. Nobody is targeting them any longer. (Yes, PPC was supported much more recently than W2k or W98, but Mac users tend to upgrade quicker than Windows.)

I tend to disagree. I, and 1000s or MILLIONS others, live by a "If it ain't broke don't fix it" policy There was and IS nothing wrong with the PowerPC Platform and there was no point to switch to Intel when ive heard of endless horror stories of how Mac's have lost popularity and less demand since the Intel Switch Mainly to being Overpriced and underpowered compared to Windows computers of the same price.

Also a smartphone doesn't even compare as a alternative to ANY computer. And in fact PowerPC is faster than 90% of the DROIDs out there. I know. I have used a DROID smartphone AND Tablet. My MDD has more RAM and power than either of them. Smartphones are not computers so you cannot compare them or even call them an "alternative" to a computer Smartphones, Just like Intel Macs, are overpriced and underpowered compared to a Windows equivlent

----------

This may not be entirely true; there is a way to get Skype 2.0 to run even though it isn't supposed to connect, maybe someone will figure out a way to do this with spotify and even dropbox possibly

Don't see why you would want to connect Skype 2.0. Version 2.8 can't even video chat anymore.

----------

I have the same iMac G4. Youtube is just not an option.

Even TFF runs like a snail :/

same for me. Get this, YouTube works FINE in HTML5 with Safari with Leopard on my eMac (though i can't go fullscreen) however when I use Safari on my MDD and try YouTube with HTML5 it lags so bad it cant be watched, Same is true with YouView on the MDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.