Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March of 2014, iSkelter launched the SlatePro TechDesk on Kickstarter, which was designed with built-in docks and cutouts to accommodate Apple devices like iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks.

The desk was highly successful, leading the company to create a range of furniture products aimed at MacBook and iPhone users, including the new SlatePro TechDesk Special Edition. The SlatePro TechDesk Special Edition is a new version of the original SlatePro desk, introducing an entirely revamped design and several additional features like felt pockets and a dry erase board.

slateprotechdesk2-800x479.jpg
Like the original SlatePro TechDesk, the new edition's main attraction is its built-in air vents for keeping laptops or desktop computers cool and its cutouts that are able to house an iPhone and an iPad. Design wise, the Special Edition SlatePro takes on a more popular U-shape with steel legs and a hazelnut bamboo surface.

slateprotechdeskse1-800x483.jpg
The filing rack has been replaced with a set of recessed felt trays able to hold accessories, pens, and more, and there's now a stainless steel cupholder instead of the original wood. With the hazelnut bamboo and a new beveled edge, the updated version has a much sleeker look. Finally, there's a large dry erase board built directly into the desk for taking notes.

slateprotechdeskwhiteboard-800x530.jpg
When ordering a SlatePro, it can be customized with a variety of options. Users can choose a left or right setup, and opt to remove any of the available features like the ventilation holes, dry erase board, display docks, mousepad, or drink holder.

The SlatePro TechDesk Special Edition is currently on sale and can be purchased from the iSkelter website for $598. The original SlatePro TechDesk is available for purchase at prices starting at $498. iSkelter also produces a range of lap desks and device docks, with prices that start at $30.

Article Link: New 'SlatePro TechDesk SE' Comes Equipped with Built-In iPhone Dock, Mac Air Vents and Whiteboard

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I would just keep dropping stuff through the holes.. Anyway doesn't the air on a MacBook circulate through the keyboard, back and on the retinas the sides? What's the point of having the bottom with loads of space when its just a metal plate? Plus the MacBook is elevated as much as it needs to be already... Ugh

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
if it comes in standing height I'll take two.

----------

I would just keep dropping stuff through the holes.. Anyway doesn't the air on a MacBook circulate through the keyboard, back and on the retinas the sides? What's the point of having the bottom with loads of space when its just a metal plate? Plus the MacBook is elevated as much as it needs to be already... Ugh

if you had read the article you would've known that you can order it in any configuration you'd like. that means if you don't want holes you don't get holes.
some people might want them or need them. don't be so narrow-minded.

----------

Overpriced and inefficient.

people would say the same thing about macs and iOS devices.

----------

The exact opposite of what I consider clean, organised and useful...

yeah... there's this thing called individuality? you know. we don't all think the same as you. (thankfully)

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This is really annoying me. Seriously $600? I can buy a peice of pine and take it to a CnC machine for much less. Better yet I can use my drill and router and drill some holes.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
if it comes in standing height I'll take two.

----------

if you had read the article you would've known that you can order it in any configuration you'd like. that means if you don't want holes you don't get holes.
some people might want them or need them. don't be so narrow-minded.

----------

people would say the same thing about macs and iOS devices.

----------

yeah... there's this thing called individuality? you know. we don't all think the same as you. (thankfully)

wow, you really seem, attached to this desk. I hope you get 2 and get to spend lots of time with them.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Looks interesting. It looks like an overpriced IKEA mod. If I worked at home and my laptop/iOS devices stayed on a table for long periods of time, this may work. I think I'd rather get a Gallant desk from IKEA instead to be more flexible in usability. To top it off, their website is slow.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
wow, you really seem, attached to this desk. I hope you get 2 and get to spend lots of time with them.

Well, he's not only attached to this desk, he obviously works for the company. He's defending the desk without giving any concrete reasons (e.g., "some people might want them or need them. don't be so narrow-minded.").

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
That whiteboard though

Being left-handed, I appreciate the location of the whiteboard; however, I can see that positioning being a PITA for the majority of the population.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.