Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I want to use the stock email app on iOS but want gmail push. I don't like the Gmail app. Push for gmail isn't working some of the time, and I need push to work reliably, all the time. Is there any other way to do this? I also forwarded to iCloud email for a while, but now SMTP server for gmail isn't working so I can't send from my gmail address using iCloud.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
If you're willing to answer a few questions for me it might work. I don't understand how to do some of the steps. How do you backup a file in ifile, and where do you enter the serial number required?

----------

Let me know how you go. I followed those instructions a while ago and it's working great for me. Good luck. :D

Also, when the write up says to activate gmail using exchange after you respring, do you use the old school method of iOS 6 and prior to set up the gmail as exchange?

Asator

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2011
Australia
If you're willing to answer a few questions for me it might work. I don't understand how to do some of the steps. How do you backup a file in ifile, and where do you enter the serial number required?

Go into iFile and navigate to /var/mobile/Library/DataAccess

In that folder you will see a file called DeviceSpecificInfo.plist, press 'Edit' in the top right-hand corner and select the DeviceSpecificInfo.plist file. Then, press the button in the lower right-hand corner and choose copy. Press it again and paste it. Hit rename so it will make a backup of that file.

You now need to edit the DeviceSpecificInfo.plist file. Click on the file and click 'Property List Viewer' Here you will need to change the serial number to the serial number of the device you previously had Gmail working as an Exchange account.

Do you have the serial number of the old device? If not, find it here: https://supportprofile.apple.com

Also, when the write up says to activate gmail using exchange after you respring, do you use the old school method of iOS 6 and prior to set up the gmail as exchange?

Nah, I don't think so. Just set it up as you would an Exchange account and it will work fine.

I hope I helped. :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I want to use the stock email app on iOS but want gmail push. I don't like the Gmail app. Push for gmail isn't working some of the time, and I need push to work reliably, all the time. Is there any other way to do this? I also forwarded to iCloud email for a while, but now SMTP server for gmail isn't working so I can't send from my gmail address using iCloud.

Why not just subscribe to Google Apps for Business? It costs money, but "need" and "reliably" and "business" are all in your question, so seems it might be worth paying for?

I ditched Google Apps last year. I moved over to Microsoft Office 365 which is cheap, but here's a secret - and don't tell anyone, shhhh... hehe... if you're an "Educational Institution" you get Exchange Hosted Services for FREE for up to 10 users per domain.... so I'm a private education institution (I'm certainly nonprofit with my email lol)... but they accepted the Application so now instead of the $4 per month it's $0. You don't get all the fancy Office apps like with a full business subscription, but if you don't need them who cares? Just google the "Office 365 Education Plan" and go from there.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Go into iFile and navigate to /var/mobile/Library/DataAccess

In that folder you will see a file called DeviceSpecificInfo.plist, press 'Edit' in the top right-hand corner and select the DeviceSpecificInfo.plist file. Then, press the button in the lower right-hand corner and choose copy. Press it again and paste it. Hit rename so it will make a backup of that file.

You now need to edit the DeviceSpecificInfo.plist file. Click on the file and click 'Property List Viewer' Here you will need to change the serial number to the serial number of the device you previously had Gmail working as an Exchange account.

Do you have the serial number of the old device? If not, find it here: https://supportprofile.apple.com

Nah, I don't think so. Just set it up as you would an Exchange account and it will work fine.

I hope I helped. :)

Thanks for all the help. I'll try it out.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
After dealing with the Gmail app for a few years because push was not possible on the native app...it finally dawned on me to just use gmail app for notifications and use the native iOS app for the Mail. Sure you can't swipe a message and be brought directly to the email but it's much better than any other solution I have tried.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Why not just subscribe to Google Apps for Business? It costs money, but "need" and "reliably" and "business" are all in your question, so seems it might be worth paying for?

But you cannot use existing email ID for that. You have to register a new email id yourusername@companyname.com.

So going for Google apps for Business is worthless. The trick on reddit worked for me perfectly.

I jailbroke on 8.1.2. Edited the plist file using iFile trial. Once exchange activesync of gmail started working, I manually updated to 8.1.3 via iTunes. Lost jailbreak but exchange for gmail Push settings were retained.

I heard you can even edit iOS backup and restore from that.

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
This is no longer working for I8+. I have no idea why the difference. It works fine on 6s plus with 11.02. But not on i8+ on 11.02. Still keeps a long 24 character string or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.