Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm using an extremely thin case (Caudabe Veil) for my 6+ and I'm of the opinion that a tempered glass (screen protector) might be a perfect addition to my phone. I normally will always rock my phone naked but with this I'm willing to add a bit of protection to it.

I know that AppleCare is an option but honestly it's a tad too pricey for me right now. So with that said, are there any con's against tempered glass? Is it only useful if the phone is dropped a specific way, etc.?

Have you witnessed the benefits of it yourself?

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are we talking about a screen cover?

If so I don't believe it gives you any real structural support. You can still shatter the screen, probably hair as easily. It does provide obvious sxratch proofing to the original glass though.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Are we talking about a screen cover?

If so I don't believe it gives you any real structural support. You can still shatter the screen, probably hair as easily. It does provide obvious sxratch proofing to the original glass though.
Yeah I was told that if the phone is dropped, this would (possibly) take the brunt of the force and crack instead of my screen. The scratch protection is nice for sure, but that's not the main reason I'd buy it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Most cracks and shatters aren't a point load from the front. They crack because of heavy stress on the corner of the glass. The screen protector would likely do very little, if anything here.

The best thing to do if you're afraid of cracking the screen is honestly to use a heavy duty case.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
They're not worth it to me because none of them cover the entire screen on the iPhone 6, and they look silly in my opinion. I don't use a screen protector or a case.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I don't know about "most". But the tempered glass screen protector is worth the $6-8 to me because it is simple to install. Wipe your screen, line it up, drop it on. Since it's not flexible (but the thick adhesive is), any dust just gets absorbed by the adhesive and there are no bumps or air bubbles. Didn't come out right or a big piece of dust? Just lift it up and redo it (if there's just take it off with tape). SO MUCH EASIER than the plastic ones.

The bad: my GF cracked hers within a few days. It was a Zagg for which I paid $17, and after looking in to their "lifetime warranty" and having no luck getting my password set on their site (I checked out without making an account), I decided just to go with cheap ones from Amazon. They work great.

But it's not going to protect your screen from more than scratches.
See this is what I don't understand. If it's not going to protect anything other than scratches, why all the hype for them? I can't believe that people would pay around $40 just so it can go on easier or feel like real glass. I've been reading that people say it's added protection but I'm not getting the same feeling from what you guys are telling me.

I don't have some extreme expectations here btw. I'm just hoping to add some minor protection but if this is just a glorified screen protector, I'll simply pass on it.

Do you not feel that your GF's phone's screen would have cracked if she didn't have it on there?

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
I dropped my iPhone 6 and I got a chip taken out of my tempered glass screen cover but the screen was untouched. In my case it was worth it and in fact I'm going to replace it with a new one.

Bill

Reactions: ABC5S

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
See this is what I don't understand. If it's not going to protect anything other than scratches, why all the hype for them? I can't believe that people would pay around $40 just so it can go on easier or feel like real glass.
Stop relying on hype/popularity. Scratches do bother some people which is why the screen protector market exists. You can't assess what other people would or would not do based solely on your particular preferences not matter what the topic.

As always, if you want impact protection don't rely on screen protectors. Get a case that offers impact protection and/or coverage. Select the precautions that you're willing to use based on your preferences and budget.

Last edited:

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
They're not worth it to me because none of them cover the entire screen on the iPhone 6, and they look silly in my opinion. I don't use a screen protector or a case.

Not true, they have ones that cover the front curve of the 6/6+, in its entirety.
Check out iloome, and they do take the impact, avoiding your screen from being damaged.

A good clear hybrid case, ( soft cushiony sides, with a hard shell anti-scratch, anti-yellowing )case.
With a iloome glass screen protector, and your set.
You get the stock glass feeling, of how the iPhone is supposed to feel, while being protected,
And you can admire the beauty of the iPhone, through a see-through minimalist designed case, that won't add on the weight and won't make it so easy to slide out of your hands, and possibly putting your case and glass screen protector to work. ��

Last edited:

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Absolutely yes. I would have already broken my 6 Plus' screen. I accidentally dropped my laptop on my iPhone while it was lost in my bed, and the screen got damaged. Luckily I had a BodyGuardz tempered glass protector on it.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yes they are worth it. My old phone dropped on the sidewalk and the screen was intact while the tempered glass shattered. On my 6 plus I use a thin aluminum bumper case and tempered glass on both side. I get that naked feeling but with actual protection. They cost like 6 bucks.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Even the higher priced brand name protectors at approximately $40 are extremely reasonably priced as compared to the high priced 6 series iPhones.

I choose not to cover the display on mine as I've enjoyed years of clarity and the nice tactile feedback of Apples Oleophobic coating. Never experiencing even the smallest cosmetic flaw or scratch. But I do carry it in a dedicated front pocket.

If it gets dropped and damaged, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
i dont get all the love for the glass protectors. they are thick and never look right. nothing beats a HIGH QUALITY plastic protector imo

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
So much misinformation and opinions in this thread.

I work for one of the big cell providers, and tempered glass screen protectors are definitely worth the money. I am always seeing customers come in to replace their's cause they dropped the phone and the protector gets all cracked up, but the glass screen underneath is not even scratched.

Sure they won't protect it 100%. I did have a few customers whose phone dropped and landed on the corner and the bottom of the screen actually did crack, but that's because the kinetic energy from the hit was dispersed on the case and not the glass protector.

Having an opinion is one thing, and sure I have them too. But I actually see this stuff every day at work and again, yes they are worth it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
See this is what I don't understand. If it's not going to protect anything other than scratches, why all the hype for them?

The hype is there because it protects the glass from scratches without altering the smooth feel of the screen. Some plastics come close, but none are quite like glass. I have had these protectors before; you can't really tell they are there when using them.

Unfortunately, with the way the 6/6plus screens are, you can tell rather easily. My wife has one, but with a case on it isn't terribly noticeable.

----------

So much misinformation and opinions in this thread.

I work for one of the big cell providers, and tempered glass screen protectors are definitely worth the money. I am always seeing customers come in to replace their's cause they dropped the phone and the protector gets all cracked up, but the glass screen underneath is not even scratched.

Sure they won't protect it 100%. I did have a few customers whose phone dropped and landed on the corner and the bottom of the screen actually did crack, but that's because the kinetic energy from the hit was dispersed on the case and not the glass protector.

Having an opinion is one thing, and sure I have them too. But I actually see this stuff every day at work and again, yes they are worth it.

It's just simply physics, really. The fact that the top glass (screen protector) cracked and the bottom glass didn't isn't indicative that the bottom glass would have cracked without it. Likewise, it is possible for your bottom glass to crack (the actual screen) and not the screen protector.

Putting a thin film of glass over a much stronger sheet of glass (the actual screen) isn't going to structurally reinforce the glass in any significant way.

I completely believe what you are seeing is accurate. Correlation is not causation, etc.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If you check the market, you will see many different brands of tempered glass protection. Prices are varied.

My friend order like 10 from ebay at very cheap price. I refused to put it on though. There is a case in my country where you put on the glass and your phone screen suddenly broke. U can't claim it either because its not like it broke when u are charging the device.

I suggest get a better case, an apple case maybe. It protects quite well.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
The ones i get are excellent. They're under $5. I bought them for everyone i know with iphones. No excuses for not wanting a screen protector now.

My fiances cousin called to thank me the other day because she dropped her phone and it fell face first. The screen protector shattered, but the screen was perfect. I ordered her another one, and some backups so i have them handy.

Don't buy the $40 ones, these ones off of ebay are the same thing.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I love them. The main reason I use the tempered glass vs the plastic screen protectors is because I like the feel of the glass. I also find it much more scratch resistant. I wear earrings and my old plastic screen protectors would have small scratches on them within days. Never had an issue with the tempered glass. They really aren't expensive. I buy the Tech armor ones on Amazon that are like $10.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I'm currently using my first tempered glass screen cover on my new 5s and love it. I like the looks and the feel. In my mind, I trust it more to prevent scratches than possible screen breaking from drops. My only negative is that I feel that it has impeded to some extent the sensitivity of my screen, but I really can't make that statement with certainty because I had it installed by the seller when I bought it new, so I had never used the phone without it. Anyway, mine was one of the more expensive ones, but I would still buy it again.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
IMO, glass screen protectors that I used in the past typically feel and look nicer than your typical clear/HD ones. Glass ones are pretty cheap on eBay and Amazon (<$5) that are usually comparable to much more expensive ones.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I love my Zagg tempered glass screen protector--it feels great to the touch and is very easy to keep clean. A pleasure to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.