Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iTunes 12.1 for OS X Yosemite, introducing a new iTunes widget for the Notification Center. With the widget, it's possible to see what song is playing, skip ahead, and favorite. When listening to iTunes Radio, there's an option to purchase the song that's being played, right within the widget. Today's update also includes performance improvements when syncing an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iTunes.

iTunes 12.1 can be downloaded via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store.

ituneswidget.jpg
This update introduces a new iTunes widget for Notification Center in OS X Yosemite. See what's playing, skip ahead, and even buy songs while listening to iTunes Radio -- right from Notification Center. This update also improves performance when syncing when your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
iTunes 12.1 is the first major update to iTunes 12, which was introduced alongside OS X Yosemite. iTunes 12 brought a new design with Yosemite-style translucency elements to improve depth, a streamlined toolbar, and the melding of the iTunes Store and the personal Library to make it easier to navigate between owned content and what's available in the store.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.1 With New Yosemite Notification Center Widget

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I care a lot more about the alleged improvement in syncing performance than I do about the widget!

(i really don't know any OS X users that regularly use their notification center)

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
And they didn't even bother changing that horrible salmon-colored icon. That is sorely needed. I simply edited the icon in Pixelmator and made it blue instead.

So, does the new syncing make USB 2.0 and the phone's internal storage any faster? =P

adamc123

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
Wasn't this released with 10.10.2? I did a fresh install from a bootable as soon as it came out and I've had the widget ever since.

TechGuy1212

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Australia
Exactly what I wanted from an iTunes update. Notification Centre widget definitely removes the need for a Control Centre like component to OS X but also has a better volume icon instead of AirPlay which to me never made sense, but this new icon is what it should of been all along.
iTunes is at its peak IMO, until they implement a streaming service with components probably from the Beats Music acquisition.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Honestly the update is completely useless if you are using the default keyboard for your mac or any keyboard with media keys when you just press the play/pause, or forward and backwards button already.

Only good part is that it shows what you are playing. Great if you have a playlist going or using the up-next feature.

Bad, you still have to launch app to change the song you want to play.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I care a lot more about the alleged improvement in syncing performance than I do about the widget!

(i really don't know any OS X users that regularly use their notification center)

i use it for stock quotes but it bothers me that i cannot see stock news in the widget like in the iOS app. this on the other hand will not be used by me

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I'll definitely be putting that widget to good use. I use the notification Center a lot actually.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

I use it constantly, every day. Also, it's a chicken/egg sort of thing. Even if people aren't using it much now, creating more widgets will entice people to start doing so.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Meh. Using the MiniPlayer that is on my desktop is easier than using Notification Center.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don't have auto update turned on. I haven't download any updates today and iTunes is showing 12.1.05, which is what it was when I did the full install of Yosemite 10.10.2 about 21 hrs ago.

I use the Notifications Center a lot. I like the iTune integration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.