Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS and Mac App Stores were today updated with new "Get Productive" sections, offering discounted prices on many popular productivity apps for iOS devices and Macs.

In the iOS App Store, the 19 discounted apps include Fantastical 2 for iPhone and iPad, Workflow, Clear, Duet Display, Calendars 5, and more. Apps are available for up to 60 percent off their regular prices.

getproductivepromotion-800x438.jpg
In the Mac App Store, there are 20 apps available at discounted prices up to 75 percent off, including popular offerings like Day One, Byword, iA Writer Pro, iTranslate, mSecure, iStudiez Pro, Notability, and more.

Apple has also named ProCam 2 as its App of the Week, and as a result, the camera and photo editing app is available at no cost, instead of at its regular $1.99 price. [Direct Link]

The iPad version of the app, ProCam XL 2 is also free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Get Productive' Promotion for iOS and Mac With Discounted Productivity Apps

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You know, I've really turned my iPad in quite the productive little machine.

My 15" MacBook stays docked to a large external monitor at home and I take my iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Smart Cover to school. I use Word (and occasionally OneNote) to take notes during lectures or annotate professor supplied power points as they talk. I use Excel for iOS for some (very light) spreadsheet organization. I'm using PDF expert to read and annotate over 400 pages of PDFs for this terms classes. I've stopped printing PowerPoint slides and notes and simply consolidate them all into one large (50 to 200 page) PDF to study for exams. All my files stay in sync via Dropbox. I use Calendar and various Reminders lists to stay onto of my tasks and I stay on top of my emails throughout the day instead of letting them pile up until I'm home.

When I get home I pick up where I left off on my Mac to finish papers, work on my online class presentations, and work on my thesis (but I read the thesis PDFs and data on the iPad).

Together they make a pretty good team. My Mac is excellent for my heavy lifting tasks and my iPad works perfect as a light on-the-go device. The ability to use a keyboard in a more traditional laptop fashion when taking notes, but detach it into a more "book" like form factor for reading and annotating PDFs is a big help especially since some of my PDFs are rendered as one image so I can't highlight individual text on my Mac, but I can draw or freeform highlight on my iPad.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Perhaps the software development team in charge of quality control at Apple would do well to take a similar initiative.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
While it's great that they are providing great apps at a deal, I can't be the only one who finds it ironic that they've put out a promotion called "get productive" immediately after they've just had a major failure in their login system again.

Bad timing for such a slogan. They need to make their security and development team get productive.

----------

pretty excited to have my small indie app, Desk App, represented! pretty honored and humbled, that's for sure!

Great for you. Congratulations.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Anti-productivity. You guys want productivity? Stop investigating and buying / trying apps and just get back to work.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I paid for ProCam 2, quite a lot time ago, but today I had there opportunity to try it again and I'm impressed by the improvements it received in the last year. It's better than the stock app

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
pretty excited to have my small indie app, Desk App, represented! pretty honored and humbled, that's for sure!

Congrats well deserved.

----------

Technically they all sync together. I use GoodTask on my Mac, and then Fantastical on my iOS devices for that reason.

Finally got GoodNotes, wow, people weren't kidding, I love the features it has.

Lets hope the makers of GoodNotes make a Mac version.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Gtd

Since we're talking productivity, I follow GTD (Getting Things Done) methodology by David Allen religiously and I was searching for the apps to help me implement it, money is not an issue as long as the app is a one time payment (ex. not Evernote) and doesn't cost more than 100$ (ex. OmniPlan), now it's like this:

1. For time specific tasks I use Fantastical and I'm content.
2. For non-time specific tasks I use Things and it's amazing, I wish Apple can make iCloud as robust as Things Cloud Sync.
3. For brainstorming I use MindNode and it's a beautiful useful app.

Apps I still can't find:

1. Reference system, a wiki, DevonThink was so ugly the last time I tried it, OCD!!!, the closest one was Together but judging by the AppStore reviews it had problems syncing with iCloud (just like any other app that isn't iWork).
2. Project Planning app that is not designed for a multi billion corporation CEO, I want a simple timeline where I can see my tasks and projects presented chronologically.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Especially in the area of iOS this seems to be a response towards Microsoft, which is ramping up at the moment...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Writing becomes effortless eventually if you do it a lot. What probably took you 30 minutes to come up with what to put down, then pretty much comes down instantly later on. Journaling doesn't necessarily have to be about your life, you can just put your general thoughts down.

2. Project Planning app that is not designed for a multi billion corporation CEO, I want a simple timeline where I can see my tasks and projects presented chronologically.

There is this app called Firetask you might look at.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010

Congrats man! Is that a Smith-Corona you used for the icon?

----------

Anti-productivity. You guys want productivity? Stop investigating and buying / trying apps and just get back to work.

I'm definitely guilty of this. Software is a helluva drug.

amundln

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Been looking for this. Any tips anyone?

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Har har - But my post was at 3 AM - har har
Besides, being productive doesn't mean working 24/7! ��

Well, I bought one anyway ... ��

Teehee. Yeah, It's surprizing to me how many of these I'd already bought. The kind folks in the online Apple communities who recommend and review apps really do seem to be a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm going to pick up Dropzone this evening. For 2 bucks, not a bad deal at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.